Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Mount Bushings

Default Body Mount Bushings

I just noticed my 59 CJ5 that is bone stock, has its body directly mounted to the frame. Other than one thick (around 3/4 thick) rubber disc shaped body mount at the very front center there are literally zero other rubber bushings anywhere else between the body and frame. Which leads me to my question. Has anyone purchased the reproduction original rubber square pads such as these from walcks that say part number A-4416 http://walcks4wd.com/body-mount-rubb...cj-models.html and what are your opinions on these and are they holding up or falling apart?

In my FSM it says I need these they are called liner, body sill, 1/8" thick in my FSM 10 required and it also says I need one Liner, Body Sill, 1/4" thick part number 670540

And note both these part numbers my book says I need, are different than the numbers walcks lists me as needing. also walcks claims I need 12 which my book says I need 10 of the one number and 1 of the other.

Or would I be better to buy this kit from daystar that says made in usa http://www.daystarweb.com/productdet...?productID=309. im pretty sure they would arrive black in color and I have no idea what shape or thickness they are since im nearly positive this is not a picture of the actual part.

Probably the main reason I got to looking and realized my body mount bushings are missing is going downhill when decelerating and hitting a certain RPM range I get a really annoying noise that I am thinking is my body rattling on the frame but its really hard to pinpoint but the sound is definitely coming from rear of jeep somewhere. Thanks everyone for the opinions on which body mounts would be better or maybe suggestions on something different but better.
    1959 CJ5 With Ventilating Windshield AND 1948 CJ2A #171171
    F-134, T90A-1, Dana 18, Koenig 51 PTO, Ramsey 246 PTO winch, and Koenig 100 PTO winch
    Dana 25 Front, Military Dana 44 Rear
    Original Canvas Half Top and Meyer Full Hard Top

Default Re: Body Mount Bushings

I cut up the side wall of a tire with a jigsaw looks just like the originals.

I can' remember if willy's did that from factory using tires, or if a couple members found using tires as a cheap and easy alternative.

I'm curious about where the 1/4 one goes, guess I will pull out the manual.
    Have fun tracking down (good luck) the noise, im currently doing this and found couple issues that I overlooked.

Edit:
    http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showt...ire+body+mount

this is what i'm talking about
    Last edited by piffey263; 05-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by piffey263 View Post
    I cut up the side wall of a tire with a jigsaw looks just like the originals.

I can' remember if willy's did that from factory using tires, or if a couple members found using tires as a cheap and easy alternative.

I'm curious about where the 1/4 one goes, guess I will pull out the manual.
    Have fun tracking down (good luck) the noise, im currently doing this and found couple issues that I overlooked.

Edit:
    http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showt...ire+body+mount

this is what i'm talking about
    Those little 1/4" pieces of rubber really offer no value for shock or cushion other than keeping it from rubbing metal to metal...........Energy Suspensions makes a short 5/8" thick Polyurethane body mount Part# 2.4101G that will only raise the body a net 3/8" of an inch , has 90% memory and you and your Jeeps body will thank you for the cushioned ride.............a net 3/8" gain will hardly make any difference on steering or brake lines.

Originally there were just pieces of canvas in there. After a while they started using the rubber.

Do you have the year-specific FSM for your jeep or is it a reprint? In my 65 parts manuals they only list 1/8" liners being required (10 to be specific). In the '67 PM next to the various liners (1/8", 1/4", 3/16") they have asterixs for each model instead of actual numbers required, I take this to mean "it depends..."

Interestingly the M38A1 manual lists different thickenesses & specifies which ones go where (pg. 319)-

http://www.tantel.ca/Images/The%20Sl...glish%2529.pdf

H.
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378
    tantel.ca/Tonka.html

my 59 reprint book covers thicknesses of 3/16 1/8 and 1/4

My FSM seems to be a quality reprint 1959 book and I also have a 1959 reprint factory parts book that shows different thicknesses of those body spacers it covers cj3b 5 and 6 and it says I need 10 part number a-4414 1/8 thick and one part number 670540 1/4 thick.

My book says no. 1-6 body hold down and how many are required for those no. 2 no 4. etc but I don't see any chart or something describing what is dedicated with those numbers. I assume the thickest of them having only one required likely means that one thick rubber is intended for that front bushing front center directly below the radiator. and all the rest placement probably doesn't matter.
    F-134, T90A-1, Dana 18, Koenig 51 PTO, Ramsey 246 PTO winch, and Koenig 100 PTO winch

Quote Originally Posted by tarry99 View Post
    Those little 1/4" pieces of rubber really offer no value for shock or cushion other than keeping it from rubbing metal to metal...........Energy Suspensions makes a short 5/8" thick Polyurethane body mount Part# 2.4101G that will only raise the body a net 3/8" of an inch , has 90% memory and you and your Jeeps body will thank you for the cushioned ride.............a net 3/8" gain will hardly make any difference on steering or brake lines.
    I am not really concerned with steering or brake line problems and I am currently leaning towards the polyurethane bushings from either daystar or Energy Suspension. But also I am concerned with noises from the body rubbing and metal on metal being hard on the body, and i'm concerned with other things that could be more of an alignment issue such as fenders possibly mechanical clutch linkage, and my brake and clutch pedal do not line up perfectly center with the holes in the floor and I was thinking these missing rubber pieces could be why....maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prothane-55-...2f147f&vxp=mtr

I used these, you will not regret using them. They are 5/8" thick I have had no problem with the clutch or brake rubbing anything on the body. Using them made my JEEP quieter while driving it.
    Last edited by jasonjp62; 05-26-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Jason
    62 Willy's, Hurricane t90c/Dana 18 25/44 5.38 gears, Snaggy conversion with double hole knuckle one piece tie rods, 11" drilled drums, knuckle stud conversion, custom bumpers/swing out tire carrier, LED conversion, con fer shackles, 33" pro comp mt's,

Body mounts on a jeep are not an exact science, i doubt everything lined up perfectly even when new. from some of the notes in the parts manuals I'd say which liners/pads/spacers went where depends on the year, engine & transmission. FWIW when Tonk goes back together either I'll put canvas back in or use thin pieces of HMW plastic to keep the squeakies to a manageable level..

Interesting that your FSM has this info in it , neither of my copies (generic reprint or PDF of unknown vintage) seems to.

H.
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378
    tantel.ca/Tonka.html

I wonder what prompts the cut-off at 1973. If the body mounts changed between 1973 and 1974, it's a change I am unaware of. A '74 model is almost identical to a '73.
    Tim Reese
    '75 CJ-6, Copper Polly 304/T15
    '77 J10 type 45 (131" WB) 258/T15/3.54
    '82 J20 type 27 360/T18/NP208/3.73 7600 GVWR
    '95 VW Golf Sport 2D 2L

I used pieces of a truck mud flap. Just cut little sections off, that stuff will last for a long time.
    Glenn (retired) 1960 CJ5 Hurricane (retired), 1959 CJ3B Hurricane (retired), 1962 4WD Wagon Super Hurricane (retired), 1952 M37 (retired), 1953 M43 (retired), 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4WD, Cummins HO (daily driver)

I'm as busy as I need to be.