Thread: Front Hub Bolt Stripped

Default Front Hub Bolt Stripped

Well I fixed one thing and wrecked another. I got the locking hub put back together and put on, but one of the 6 bolts that hold it to the hub stripped out. From the way it failed and what was on the threads I think it was bubba'd in with JB Weld.

Is that a thread that can be repaired or do I just need a new hub? They don't cost that much and I suppose I should take a look at the bearings and brakes anyway.

Seems like it would be OK to drive it as is too, I mean I still have 5 bolts holding things together...

Thanks,

- Ian

Default Re: Front Hub Bolt Stripped

Quote Originally Posted by iharding View Post
    Well I fixed one thing and wrecked another. I got the locking hub put back together and put on, but one of the 6 bolts that hold it to the hub stripped out. From the way it failed and what was on the threads I think it was bubba'd in with JB Weld.

Is that a thread that can be repaired or do I just need a new hub? They don't cost that much and I suppose I should take a look at the bearings and brakes anyway.

Seems like it would be OK to drive it as is too, I mean I still have 5 bolts holding things together...

Thanks,

- Ian
    You can Heli-coil a new thread insert in there to repair it............either you buy the kit or ask a mechanic or friend if they have the proper tool & size.........Been a while since I bought a kit.......probably $20 bucks including the inserts.......I think it's 3/8" x 16 thread about a 15 minute job once the old bolt is out. The process is simple you drill the old hole to a larger size, use the special Heli-Coil tap and re-thread the hole and then wind in a new insert and presto new threads!

2X on the helicoil, might be stronger than the origional.
    Yes, take a look at the bearings while you are in there.
    Then again there is the king pin bearings to check... when you are at this point.
    Have you ever wondered why some people complain about their repair costs on old Jeeps?
    1953 Buick Special, 62K all orig.
    1961 Cj3B, 225,T90,D18,D25,D44,5:38,Warn OD,mico
    Koenig PTO,Koenig metal top
    1969 c101 225,stock,PB
    1994 Mitso Fuso FG Class C

Quote Originally Posted by tarry99 View Post
    You can Heli-coil a new thread insert in there to repair it............either you buy the kit or ask a mechanic or friend if they have the proper tool & size.........Been a while since I bought a kit.......probably $20 bucks including the inserts.......I think it's 3/8" x 16 thread about a 15 minute job once the old bolt is out. The process is simple you drill the old hole to a larger size, use the special Heli-Coil tap and re-thread the hole and then wind in a new insert and presto new threads!
    "Real" Helicoil stuff is pricey, cost me darn near $60 for a set earlier this year. There's other brands out there that are a lot cheaper.

H.
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378
    tantel.ca/Tonka.html

Quote Originally Posted by uncamonkey View Post
    2X on the helicoil, might be stronger than the origional.
    Yes, take a look at the bearings while you are in there.
    Then again there is the king pin bearings to check... when you are at this point.
    Have you ever wondered why some people complain about their repair costs on old Jeeps?
    To me it's not so much the cost as the time... you go deeper and deeper for longer and longer and pretty soon you've owned it for 5 years and only driven it twice. That's true with all old cars... I am trying to triage things and only fix what's broken and service what can cause damage if I don't. Wheel bearings need to be looked at for sure. What I could see of the outer one looked good and the locking hub looked pretty much like new so I have high hopes for the rest of the greasy bits.

Is the big socket the only special tool I need to get started?

"pretty soon you've owned it for 5 years and only driven it twice. That's true with all old cars..."

I have to disagree slightly. Old worn-out used-up cars, sure, BTDT. An abused vehicle can be a money pit.

But I have several that I use regularly (recreationally), and I keep maintenance logs. I am often amazed that I can look back and see only a few hours work done over a several year period on a particular car. I have owned them for twenty years and more...

Some of that is due to the elegant simplicity of the classics. A head gasket replaced in two hours. A carb removed and cleaned in an hour. Also I do routine things to make it easy - keep an oil can handy and put a drop on all bolts or connections that catch my eye when the hood is up, get under and look around every so often, etc. Check ALL the fluids. Invest in the right tools and manuals as needed. Keep simple small parts on hand. Keep ahead of problems so it is only one thing at a time. Plus I am not fussy about paint and wax.

Sticking with a favored model or series will mean that your hard-won "expert" knowledge will become more and more useful over time, saving a lot of grief.

Probably the biggest factors are finding good low-milage (complete) examples, sticking with uncomplicated models, and favoring popular makes for which parts and advice are plentiful. Like JEEP!
    Last edited by PeteL; 08-02-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    "There are two theories about that. Neither one works."