Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frame repair

Default frame repair

I finally got my frame cleaned and painted and started work on what the PO did to the front frame horns. I got to thinking that since this is an area that will see some stress I ought to seek the advice and comments of those with much more knowledge and experience than me.
    The photos are of where the frame is cracked. I have cut the hanger out to try to put it back in strait. I think the PO pulled the front bumper off trying to winch it out of a tight spot.
    What do you think is the best meathod of repair?
    Thanks.

Default Re: frame repair

Boy, that's a tough spot. A whole new frame horn wouldn't be a bad idea, so the repair spots aren't directly under the shackle mount. If that's not an option, I think I would remove the bumper mount, replace the bottom of the frame rail from the end of the frame to where you have it cut out. Then replace the shackle hanger, bumper bracket and then, box the inside of the frame rail from the end to the crossmember.

I'd get several opinions here, then follow the best plan or a mix of all the opinions. Other members may have a better remedy.
    Last edited by wheelie; 08-05-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Dave, York, PA
    71 cj5 on the road, 66 Tux Park
    47 Willys truck,2 Bantam trailers,

"JEEP work is good work." -G. King

Thanks Dave. I like the idea of boxing the frame in this area.

I'd replace what needs replaced on the outside, but would consider boxing it like Wheelie said. But instead of flat plate I'd consider putting some box tube inside the frame and box/repair around it. Make it contoured to extend clear back to the crossmember and tie it in there. I have a new (to me) frame for the '59-5 and that's what I intend on doing to it on both sides for strength and for the power steering box mount.
    Having chased frame cracks for years I can say now is the time to strengthen the stress points. Before they become an issue.

Sent from my iPhone
    '59 CJ-5 modified, '59 CJ-6 more modified, stock '57 CJ-5, Koenig PTO winch

I had the same situation on the '71, but in the rear.

I cut out all the rust, and rebuilt the frame ends with 1/8" flat stock.
    I drilled a few holes, welded nuts inside the C-channel for the hanger and bumper bolts, then I had a piece of 3/16" thick bent into a "U", about 8" long. I bolted the hanger through the bottom of the U, through the bottom of the frame, and into the welded nuts. Then I ground the top of the U flush, and welded the top of the U to the top rail of the frame.

More Pics here in my Photobucket album; somewhat out of sequence but maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/lynn2...pair%20Project

I did this repair about 10 years ago, and subsequently sold the Jeep. Since then the new owner has broken the frame in a number of other places, but this repair still holds strong.
    Last edited by lynn; 08-06-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Lynn
    '05 LJ
    One toke over the line...

Click Here for My Pics

Thanks Nick and Lynn. I'm off to see if I can find sone 1/8" plate.

My front has been boxed for quite some time. I've had no problems with it. The rear was a different story. Stock and was constantly welding cracks. The next cracks would appear at the margin of the weld bead. Like Nick says, got tired. Used some 2-1/2" x 4" square tube (because that's what I had laying around) to slide outside the existing frame.

CJ Joe
    American, Patriot

KG6YQQ
    1968 CJ5 225 T14A D18 OD D27 D44

Thanks Joe. I'll have to make sure everything is properly aligned and reinforce the inside of the frame before I box it.

Well, I'm trying to put this thing back together and have another problem that I would appreciate some comment on.
    It seams that when replacing the front hanger I'm having some alignment problems.
    When I measure the diagonal between the front hangers I consistently get a difference of 3/16" to 1/4". The book says anything over 1/8" is considered sprung. I can't look at it and tell where it is bent or where to apply pressure to straighten. All other measurements are in spec.
    what to do? what to do? what to do?
    Thanks
    Tommy

check the rear of the front spring to the front of the rear spring.
    The difficult is no problem..............The impossible just takes a little longer
    ........I didn't get a Jeep to go fast..........
    74 with a glass tub , 8274 winch and the right combination of wheelbase, width. line and nuts.
    76 cj7 all glass the loving brides ride, and a handful of parts rigs