Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder replacement options

Default Master Cylinder replacement options

Degreased and power washed the Jeep this weekend. Gave me a chance to see where my leaks were coming from. One looks to be where the speedo cable plugs in, hopefully just loose. The other is the master cylinder. Did a search here for replacement options and have narrowed down to 2 for my stock drum setup. Rockauto has a few replacement singles for around $45. Should be a straight forward swap. The other option I read about was the Wilwood with remote for $20 more - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...3378/overview/
    From what I've read would need to drill one new mounting hole, but otherwise straight forward. Advantage would be ability for remote fill and check.
    Am I missing anything about the wilwood upgrade, or would it be best to stick with the stock setup. My plan is to keep the stock drums since they seem to work well when the MC has fluid in it. Tire size will probably remain 30" for now, maybe 33" in a few years.

Default Re: Master Cylinder replacement options

If you're staying with the stock single reservoir m/c just get a stock replacement. You know the lines will mount right up, it will line right up with your pedal Pushrod, no modifications necessary, etc., etc. If you want a remote reservoir that's easy enough to do.

Sent from my iPhone
    '59 CJ-5 modified, '59 CJ-6 more modified, '70 CJ-5, stock '57 CJ-5, Koenig PTO winch

If your m/c is leaking it's probably time to go through & the lines & wheel cylinders too- especially if you stick with the single circuit MC. They may be OK now but they're undoubtedly on their way out & with a single circuit one failed component means no brakes at all

Even without converting from the stock drums if it were me I'd look into a dual mastercylinder replacement. Herm the Overdrive Guy offers a setup that is essentially an early 70's mounting bracket & MC, there's another available from , IIRC, Randy's Ring & Pinion that uses a Willwood M/C. if you don't want to hack the frame up for a new mounting bracket then check Moses Ludel's "Jeep Rebuilder's Guide" - he has a solution that may work for you.

I came up with my own design -

H.
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378
    http://tantel.ca/Tonka.html

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't pulled the wheels off yet to inspect the shoes and cylinders.

Howard, R&P are the ones that offer the conversion that uses the Wilwood m/c. I just installed one on the '59-5. I had to drill I think 3 or 4 holes in the frame and modify the lines. No other mods necessary and everything lines up great. They even supplied the residual pressure valves I needed, the t fitting for the brake lamp switch, and the correct pushrod to use the stock pedal in the kit. Was worth every penny. Much easier than "other" kits I've seen. I think it's Kaiserwillys that now stocks the R&P kit and quit stocking the "other" kit due to too many issues they were having.

Sent from my iPhone
    '59 CJ-5 modified, '59 CJ-6 more modified, '70 CJ-5, stock '57 CJ-5, Koenig PTO winch

Quote Originally Posted by nickmil View Post
    Howard, R&P are the ones that offer the conversion that uses the Wilwood m/c. I just installed one on the '59-5. I had to drill I think 3 or 4 holes in the frame and modify the lines. No other mods necessary and everything lines up great. They even supplied the residual pressure valves I needed, the t fitting for the brake lamp switch, and the correct pushrod to use the stock pedal in the kit. Was worth every penny. Much easier than "other" kits I've seen. I think it's Kaiserwillys that now stocks the R&P kit and quit stocking the "other" kit due to too many issues they were having.

Sent from my iPhone
    I think I like mine better

Bolts right to the stock holes, uses the stock pushrod & comes in an assortment of colours limited only to what's found in old spray cans in my paint cabinet

H
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Eisenhauer View Post
    I think I like mine better

Bolts right to the stock holes, uses the stock pushrod & comes in an assortment of colours limited only to what's found in old spray cans in my paint cabinet

H
    That looks great Howard! Will it work with stock Ross steering?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by nickmil View Post
    That looks great Howard! Will it work with stock Ross steering?

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes, it's tight- there's about an 1/8" clearance between the rear Ross mounting bolt & the front reservoir on the M/C but nothing touches.

H.
    Tonka
    1955 CJ5
    F134
    S/N 378

In my 59 CJ5 I simply bought a new single cylinder replacement and everything else brake related is new but in my 48 CJ2A I opted to install the new remote reservoir dual master cylinder kit from R&P its a wildwood m/c and seems to be well made but its not fully installed yet so I cant give a full review yet but I have high hopes for it

I have already had a loss of brakes in my cj5 and it wasn't fun even though it was off road on a hill climb and only about 15 mph. My pto shaft for the winch came up and sheared off my brake lines at the master cylinder. I will probably be giving it a dual m/c kit from R&P soon as well.
    Last edited by WorkInProgress; 09-04-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
    1959 CJ5 With Ventilating Windshield AND 1948 CJ2A #171171
    F-134, T90A-1, Dana 18, Koenig 51 PTO, Ramsey 246 PTO winch, and Koenig 100 PTO winch
    Dana 25 Front, Military Dana 44 Rear
    Original Canvas Half Top and Meyer Full Hard Top

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Eisenhauer View Post
    Yes, it's tight- there's about an 1/8" clearance between the rear Ross mounting bolt & the front reservoir on the M/C but nothing touches.

H.
    Cool! Looks great.
    Have you been able to check the bracket for flex? You may need to add some gussets top and/or bottom if there is. Any flex in the bracket will not allow the brakes to work correctly.

Sent from my iPhone