Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard top for 66 CJ5

Default Hard top for 66 CJ5

I've just finished restoring my 66 Cj5 and just after I thought I was completely satisfied with its binkini top, today I ran across an original metal hard top complete with doors and glass - all in good condition. Its already off sitting on shop floor and ready for painting.

I'm tempted to get the hard top but I'd like to hear from others who have tried it both ways. Some questions:
    1) Is it practical to take off and put back on seasonally.
    2) Would you paint it the matching color as the body or contrast (my jeep is white with black bikini top and it looks clean and crisp.
    3) any other comments and especially any pictures of the hard tops would be appreciated

Eddy

Default Re: Hard top for 66 CJ5

Just personal option here...but I think you will like the soft top look much better. I would pass on the hard cab. KCJ
    69 Kaiser (Build Aug '69) CJ-5 225 V6 HEI T-14 D18 D27 D44 Color Code 433 Spring Green '56 M100 1/4 ton trailer

1. No.
    2. They can look nice, but IMHO a soft top looks better

Adam Sparks

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain

I like the look of a hard top, the one that came with my jeep (kelly) is part of the reason I bought it and passed up others. after driving it with the top, without it, and with a bikini/half doors, There are 3 things I do not like about the metal tops: increased interior noise (echo chamber), added topside weight (a couple hundred pounds right where you don't need them), and lack of clear visibility. that being said, I would grab a half cab in a heartbeat if I find a good one available.

To answer your questions;

Taking one on and off on a regular basis would be a chore and probably result in damage to the top over time. If you have the room for a special lift that would remove it in one piece and store it that way it is doable.

Opinion: color wise, most of the tops came from the factory in white. they look good white against any color of jeep. I have also seen several painted the color of the jeep and they look good that way as well. I have seen black and can't immagine how hot that gets in the sun. contrasting color could be a nice choice if the color was carefully selected.

I am planning on cutting my top into a half cab unless someone here wants to work a deal on it. when I do, it will be painted the same color as the jeep.

$.02 given

<end transmission>

Thanks for all the feedback.
    I was worried about the "noise chamber" as well. I use my CJ5 year round with the Bikini top. In the winter I use it on nearby (10 mile radius) hunting excursions and I'm already in appropriate gear for spending a lot of time in the open. Our winters in Ga are mild by any standards so its not a big deal. One of the things I like with the bikini top is the crisp & clean look and the visibility.

Having said all that I may still grab this top and doors and hold on for possible resale at later date. Whats the value for good square top and doors with no cracks in the glass & in need of priming/painting with very minor bodywork?

Eddy

Look at my avatar for an example of hardtop the same as body color. I definitely will agree the soft top looks really sharp compared to a hardtop. I am personally through though with replacing soft tops.
    Glenn (retired) 1960 CJ5 Hurricane (retired), 1959 CJ3B Hurricane (retired), 1962 4WD Wagon Super Hurricane (retired), 1952 M37 (retired), 1953 M43 (retired), 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4WD, Cummins HO (daily driver)

I'm as busy as I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by etu
    Whats the value for good square top and doors with no cracks in the glass & in need of priming/painting with very minor bodywork?
    Before I gave up on finding one and bought the Supertop, the value would have been great! Especially since you're also in GA! Seriously, what few I found for sale on the west coast or some other great distance from GA ranged from $400 to $1000. I was really wanting a hard top as opposed to the soft, but with everything mentioned here, perhaps the soft was a better choice. One thing I learned though. If I take the jeep to Florida with the top on, and the weather is nice, I can fold up the top and go 'topless'. That's a wee bit hard to do with a hard top!

On another note, I vote for the contrasting color but would choose something other than black for temp reasons. I'd choose an accent color like neon green and use that for the top, and also use the color for lettering or stripes to pull it together.

My $0.0175 in!
    Jack & Susan Storey
    Columbus, GA
    1955 Willys CJ5 (Ol' Glory)
    2007 Jeep Wrangler
    M416 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by $ sink
    I would grab a half cab in a heartbeat if I find a good one available.
    I was under the impression the hard, half-cabs were not feasible for the CJ5s because of the differences in the doors and the distance from rear door opening to the windshield. Otherwise, I'd love a half-cab as well!
    Jack & Susan Storey
    Columbus, GA
    1955 Willys CJ5 (Ol' Glory)
    2007 Jeep Wrangler
    M416 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by 56WillyCJ5
    On another note, I vote for the contrasting color but would choose something other than black for temp reasons. I'd choose an accent color like neon green and use that for the top, and also use the color for lettering or stripes to pull it together.
    you've been watching too many of those decorating shows