Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 72 Jeep AMC 232 Power Steering Swap

Default Re: 72 Jeep AMC 232 Power Steering Swap

I mentioned that you may have to change the intake...I think you can use a 258 also.

Originally Posted by JeepManEd
    The best one for CJ's have a 4 to 1 lock to lock ratio. Your manual has a 6 to 1 but this is only on the manuals. Try not to use a 3 or 3.5 to 1 box as this will make your Jeep a little squirrely.

all you need to do is steering from stop to stop and count your turns.

My 258 J-truck has the PS pump on the left and the alternator on the right.
    Tim Reese
    '75 CJ-6, Copper Polly 304/T15
    '77 J10 type 45 (131" WB) 258/T15/3.54
    '82 J20 type 27 360/T18/NP208/3.73 7600 GVWR
    '95 VW Golf Sport 2D 2L

Hi cshortreed. I gather by your post that your located in the Denver area??? I live on Conifer Mnt. apx. 40 mins. from Denver. Keep me posted on your progress. If I finish mine first, you can come over and check it out!! - or - vice versa .

P.S. I got my pump mnt. and two-groove pulley from Jeeps Unlimited (bone-yard) not sure if they're right yet.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMB
    Hi cshortreed. I gather by your post that your located in the Denver area??? I live on Conifer Mnt. apx. 40 mins. from Denver. Keep me posted on your progress. If I finish mine first, you can come over and check it out!! - or - vice versa .

P.S. I got my pump mnt. and two-groove pulley from Jeeps Unlimited (bone-yard) not sure if they're right yet.

Regards, Jim
    Great to hear from you Jim, I know exactly where Conifer is, I go through there fairly often! I called JU and no dice, is yours a 232? I actually have a call into 4X4 Used in Ft. Collins and he said he just got the bracket and pulley for someone else just a couple of days ago from out of town and thinks he can find another for me. Fingers crossed! I lucked out and found an AMC web site that actually showed the entire blow up of the PS pump assbly and bracket/pulley, etc for my 232 engine - very cool and helped a lot.

Post it

Quote Originally Posted by JeepManEd
    Post it
    Here is the main site: http://www.amcrc.com/tech/tech.html

And the PS assbly for my 232: http://amccf.com/tech/new/steering_pump_SIX.jpg

Hi cshortreed. No, mines a 258. I wish I could find a parts blow-up like that for mine! I was "shooting in the dark" when I ventured into the junkyard. With some luck, I should be able to make it work. Hope to tackle that tommorow. Gotta finish putting on my half-cab today.
    I'll keep you posted. Jim