Thread: 1971 CJ5 D44 Flanged Axles

Default 1971 CJ5 D44 Flanged Axles

Hi,

New to the group.

I have a mixed CJ-5 built with the best of 71 and 72 parts. The Rear axle is a Dana 44 with flanged axles. When I read up on it, it seems to be a 30 spline off-set rear end, that they only made from 70 1/2 to 71. The long side is slightly bent. Causes a leak at the wheel, and annoys my to no end when I look out the door at it. It's the drivers side, the long one, I think.

Any ideas where to get one? Is it junk yards only, or was this Dana 44 used on another truck, a Scout maybe.

Hoping for a good answer? ...but I'll probably have to swap it out for a pre 70 1/2 tapered version.

Thanks,

Jon
    ------------------------------------------
    Jon Cyr cyrj@cyr.info
    Cranston, RI

1971 CJ-5a V6-225 4bbl, headers
    Had this Jeep since 1986, at 18.
    27 up front, 44 in back
    T-18 4-speed, Spicer 18 Tcase
    Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials 33x15.50R15 on
    Mickey Thompson Classic 15x10's

Default Re: 1971 CJ5 D44 Flanged Axles

Whoops, probably the wrong forum... my apologies.

-Jon

Looks like the right forum to me.

Welcome!

This 44 wasn't in anything else as far as I know. Probably how my '71 ended up with a 2 piece in the rear...

Adam Sparks

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain

I believe your only hope is to find another 70.5 - 71 rear axle. They do show up occasionally.

Unless you know someone with great fab skills who could re-tube your pumpkin...
    Lynn
    '05 LJ
    One toke over the line...

Click Here for My Pics

For what it is worth, I have never seen a jeep manufactured for the 1970 model year (not a '69 leftover) that was NOT a flanged axle.

So, when you look under items for sale on this web site, any 1970 cj ought to have the axle you are looking for.

There is one being parted out on the for sale section at this time.

It'll come in one of four ratios
    f-134 --- 5.38
    f-134 ---- 4.27
    V-6 3.73
    V-6 4.88

good luck

I just sold a 1970 jeep cj5 with a 5.38 flanged rear axle to a fellow. He is going to part it out, so he may have an extra axle.

Send me a PM if you might be interested and if he is interested in selling I'll put you in touch with him.

He is in Ontario Canada, and he won't be getting the jeep 'till mid January. Till then it will be in my shop.

kamel

call endangered species jeeps in hoyloke ma 413-532-0732

the owners name is Todd, he found one for me a while back.
    1957 CJ5, f134 / T18 / D18, D20 hybrid / D44 rr 5.38w/30 spline moser shafts spooled disk brakes/ D30 frt 5.38 detroited superior shafts / 35" boogers or Q78 on trailready beadlocks / full cage / etc.etc.etc.

1954 CJ3B, my little stock jeepy

Quote Originally Posted by cyrj
    Hi,
    The Rear axle is a Dana 44 with flanged axles. The long side is slightly bent.
    axle shaft or axle tube ??
    new shaft can be made up
    $$ though

tube or housing could be straightened

Quote Originally Posted by cyrj
    Hi,

. The Rear axle is a Dana 44 with flanged axles. When I read up on it, it seems to be a 30 spline off-set rear end, that they only made from 70 1/2 to 71. The long side is slightly bent. Causes a leak at the wheel, and annoys my to no end when I look out the door at it. It's the drivers side, the long one, I think.

Any ideas where to get one?
    Hoping for a good answer? ...but I'll probably have to swap it out for a pre 70 1/2 tapered version.

Thanks,

Jon
    I have a flanged axle 44 in the Cj-3B I am working on. I will be selling the front and rear axles soon. Of course the shipping might be too steep. The front is a Dana 27 with toyota calipers on jeep disks... (done by a local company from what I can tell- the jeep stops great)

If you can't find one keep that in mind.
    '57??? Cj-3b junkyard EFI on 225 TH-350 D18. Gettin resto-ed as we read!

Hi Jon,

I just looked at (today at lunch) - and will be picking up next Tuesday - an abandoned '71 CJ-5 restoration project. I'll probably keep a few of the parts for myself, and will be selling the rest. It has the offset flanged Dana 44 rear (complete except brake drums) with 4.88 gears. E-mail me at one_x_one_craig@yahoo.com if you're interested in it. I'm going to have to do some research in regards to pricing, though (I planned on just listing it on eBay).

I may be able to get it as far as Virginia if you're a little flexible on timing. We're building a CJ-8 charity Scramber in Rockville, Virginia right now (info in the "Ramblings" forum).

Thanks,
    Craig