Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Will a 500CID Cadillac engine bolt up?

Default Re: Will a 500CID Cadillac engine bolt up?

Greg you have been most helpful. I called a local tranny shop to see what they would charge to swap guts, I was quoted $950........talk about motivation to learn something new! I'm going to get a simple seal kit and swap it all myself. Since the Jeepster tranny is fresh with only 10,000 miles on it, I won't be disassembling the drums/hubs. I still think I will get a repair manual just to be safe.

Oh yeah one more question. I can use the valve body from the Jeepster tranny right? It was assembled with a shift improver when that tranny was built in '06.

Thanks

I live in a house on the outskirts of town in Ontario Canada.

Even if you had a short shaft 400 you'd need the output shaft from the Jeepter any way as it has a groove cut in it for an "O" ring that car trannys don't have. The 400's are pretty simple to rebuild, even simpler if you're just changing the internals from one to the other. Should have no problem using the valve body either. I can tell you without a doubt you don't have a TH425.

^^^^^TH425^^^^^
    73 Commando /70 Jeepster Convertible /71 Jeepster Hurst Edition /71 Jeepster Half Cab 61 Willys Wagon??? /81 AMC Eagle SX/4 /82 AMC Eagle Sundancer /72 Triumph Spit6

Sorry, my mistake about the TH425. You definitely will not have one of those. I was thinking that one of the previous posters was talking about the TH475 and mixed it up with 425 front driver. The TH475 is a heavy duty TH400 with straight cut planetary gears and heavy duty clutches along with heavy duty case and a few other goodies. It was used in some Caddys as well as motorhomes and other heavy duty applications. I doubted you would have had one of them as they are rare. Regular TH400s are plenty tough anyways. If you are mechanically inclined and have a good book you should be able to handle the swap of parts. You may be able to find a PDF of a manual online or some other directions. I have a couple good books but nothing digital. The Valvebody should swap fine. $950 is pretty pricey I would say. Do it yourself. It is not as tough as people make it out to be. Just be carefull and keep things clean as well as have a clean place to do it. Good luck with it.
    Greg
    1966 Buick Skylark GS with 455/TH400 fully restored, my first car, had since 15
    1955 Chevy 2DR Wagon Gasser project. 496 BBC, Toploader, Straight Axle 60s Drag Beast.
    http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128909
    1948 Willys CJ2A Jeep Project, 4.8L Chevy Vortec LR4, SM 465, Dana 18, Dana 30/Dana44, 34" Swampers with 4.5" RE Lift.

Thought I would give an update of my build. I was able to use the Jeepster tranny after clearancing the adapter. I finally got it on the road, and here is a short vid. Turn it up around 50 sec. The Caddy sounds great!

Thanks for all the help guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbX1HnZx8c
    Last edited by Monster Rat; 10-12-2010 at 07:14 PM.

I live in a house on the outskirts of town in Ontario Canada.

Was wondering how you were coming along with that, thanks for the update. Sounding mighty fine .
    73 Commando /70 Jeepster Convertible /71 Jeepster Hurst Edition /71 Jeepster Half Cab 61 Willys Wagon??? /81 AMC Eagle SX/4 /82 AMC Eagle Sundancer /72 Triumph Spit6

Woo-Hooooo,,,damn good looking rod,,,looks like a lot of fun to play with.
    John H
    Las Cruces, New Mexico (it's not new, & it's not Mexico)
    1980 CJ-5 (aka CJ-5.0)
    2002 Jeep Liberty (DD,Primary camping & road-trip rig)
    "Beaten Paths are for Beaten Men"

that's awesome....still grinning ear to ear
    Jim
    1966 CJ6 gone but not forgotten

Is your truck for hire ? I'm thinking that's what I want to haul me to where I well be laid to rest,(when someday I go).
    Larry
    larry