Thread: Dauntless 225 odd fire question

Default Dauntless 225 odd fire question

Looking for some assistance regarding the V6 Odd fire identification. When looking for parts, ie. HEI distributors, manifolds etc. how does on know what will fit and what won't. Do all buick V6 parts interchange? Are the engines the same regardless of transmission type. Can I use a engine that came out of a jeep w/ an automatic and put it in a jeep with a standard? or visa versa. I'm asking because I read somewhere that engines that were used with the automatic were internally balanced and standard transmission engines are externally balanced.
    While were on the subject I understand that there is two flywheels available, 75 lb. and 100 lb. I'm thinking more weight would equal smoother running and more torque. I'm sure you'd sacrifice a little bit on responsiveness though.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Dauntless 225 odd fire question

Have you perused the Tech Library here on the site?
    Mike Boyink
    A family of 4 escapes suburbia to live on the road full-time:
    http://boyinks4adventure.com

A lot to answer but heres a couple.
    The odd fire has a different dist than the even fire. Internally
    the odd fire flywheel that comes in jeeps 225 is about 50 lbs, just had it out.
    no other oddfire has this that I know of.
    Oddfires are external balanced and evens enternal balanced.
    All buick v6 (225 231) intended for rear wheel drive should be same bolt pattern. For the tranny mount auto or manule.
    google is your friend on this subject.
    My Youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/4x4trick

Quote Originally Posted by trickpatrick View Post
    A lot to answer but heres a couple.
    <snip>
    google is your friend on this subject.
    Or the tech section where I've made note of these items...

Adam Sparks

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain

Last edited by DALE THOMAS; 06-26-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: rudeness?

Quote Originally Posted by DALE THOMAS View Post
    www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/buick_90_v6.htm AND www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html BOTH OF THESE SITES WILL GIVE YOU A COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE BUICK V6,ANOTHER SITE I'M NOT SURE OF THE ADDRESS BUT I THINK IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE THE BUICK GODS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
    Dale,
    Please turn your caps lock off. It's much easier for us to read what you type. Not to mention it's considered rude to type in all caps, it's SHOUTING. Thanks.

Adam Sparks

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain

the hei dist will fit from either the odd fire or even fire 231 buick. There is tech article on converting an even fire HEI dist to an odd fire. Works well.

The Exhaust mainfolds fit fine but look flat and triangular even use the same gasket. I used the driver's side from 231 monza for the driver's side in my CJ when I converted to power steering.
    Steve

69 CJ5 Canadian 225 Odd Fire, GM HEI delco 12si, front wheel knuckle stud mod, Saginaw PS, cherokee laredo tilt column, Warn OD, Rancho 1" lift leafs, Kragge HD shackles no lift, RS 9000X shocks
    previous CJ = '47 CJ2A from 1970-72 blew the engine outside of Santa Fe.

"The only thing that differentiates Homo sapiens from the other species on this planet are automatic weapons and whoopee cushions." -- me 1985.

One thing you might come across is a 231 (even fire) without the crank drilled for a pilot bushing.
    William in L.A.
    (NW Florida, aka Lower Alabama)

1970 Jeepster Commando V6 - over 300k miles
    1954 CJ-3B F4
    1963 CJ-5 T98 DRW
    1953 CJ-3B - not much left
    1966 Ford F-100 - 352/3spd
    2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6spd - daily wheels