Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting the 6 to a "Brute"?

Default Converting the 6 to a "Brute"?

Has anyone considered or done a "brute" style conversion to a CJ6? I'm just toying with the idea but would love to get some insight or thoughts on the matter.
    Mahalos!
    Last edited by uplandhawaii; 10-28-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    HOW MUCH is that to ship to Hawaii!!??
    BentFrame4x4.com

1973 CJ-6 Brute Conversion
    Waggy D44's, rear spool, 7 leaf waggy spring packs front and rear, T-18

Default Re: Converting the 6 to a "Brute"?

A 6 with a half cab looks close.
    '94 YJ '96 XJ '02 quad cab Ram '12 JKU '77 Dodge Power Wagon
    Past owner of a few cj5s.

Jerry M.

Erik
    1955 F Head, twin stick, pto 13K orig miles...restoration in progress
    1967 Chevy K10 Short bed "Jolene"
    Not for fame or reward, Not for place or for rank, Not lured by ambition, Or goaded by necessity, But in simple Obedience to Duty; As they understood it, These men suffered all, Sacrificed all, Dared all--and died

Thanks, yeah I have one like that
    I wanted to see if anyone has actually enclosed the cab at the partition and added a separate bed without extending the frame. I'm thinking it may not look proportioned without either extending the frame a bit or extending the bed sheet metal to over hang more like a CJ8. I have an m416 bed I may want to use if I do pursue this route.
    BentFrame4x4.com

Quote Originally Posted by uplandhawaii View Post
    Thanks, yeah I have one like that I have an m416 bed I may want to use if I do pursue this route.
    Oh man, please please please don't chop up such a beautiful 6! If you have to extend the frame and stuff anyway please start with a much more common 5. Hell, I'll swap my 5 with you straight up if you want. 6's are much too rare and precious to chop up.

Quote Originally Posted by pathkiller View Post
    Oh man, please please please don't chop up such a beautiful 6! If you have to extend the frame and stuff anyway please start with a much more common 5. Hell, I'll swap my 5 with you straight up if you want. 6's are much too rare and precious to chop up.

x2 - don't cut up that 6!! Get a 5 or a 7. Heck, I'd get a scrambler and toss a half cab on it. Don't cut the 6. And no more monkeys business!!

By the way.......cool looking 6 you got there.

Yeah I admit the rarity of the 6 is part of the reason why I haven't torn into it. I've only seen 3 here in Hawaii and only mine and another is running. If you guys were closer I would actually consider a swap for a 7, at least I'd know my 6 was going to some one who appreciates the 6.
    I can't swap my 6 here for anything! no body wants it, not even to trade for a YJ!

I'm not a purist, never have been, more of a hot rodder so I'll still entertain the idea of doing it. I've already started the process of making it more comfortable to drive by installing power steering and power brakes and more comfortable seats. As soon as I can get some caliper brackets I'll be converting to discs. So its not actually a pure CJ6, although its pure jeep as I've only used jeep parts to complete the conversions.

Thanks for the compliments!
    BentFrame4x4.com

Hey it's your ride, do with it what you please.

But, they are getting quite rare around here.

Wish I had that extra wheelbase

High5
    1975 CJ 5: 258, T 18, Dana 20, HEI, Affordable fuel injection, Optima, Glass body, and 33's
    To do list: cage.
    "By the time I get done with this thing I'm going to have a brand spankin' new 30 year old Jeep"

I really dig your canvas bed cover. Did you make that or did it come that way? Looks very African-safari ready.

Quote Originally Posted by uplandhawaii View Post
    Thanks, yeah I have one like that
    I wanted to see if anyone has actually enclosed the cab at the partition and added a separate bed without extending the frame. I'm thinking it may not look proportioned without either extending the frame a bit or extending the bed sheet metal to over hang more like a CJ8. I have an m416 bed I may want to use if I do pursue this route.
    I like the idea with the M416 trailer tub, I think it would be neat! I don't think it would look any more or less proportioned than a CJ-6 does now (which is arguable since a CJ-5 is beautifully proportioned to begin with and the CJ-6 is just a long CJ-5. )

1x1speedcraig put a 416 bed on his CJ-10, I can imagine it would be similar in looks proportionally.
    Last edited by sparky; 10-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Adam Sparks

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~ Mark Twain