Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What repro body should I order? CJ2A,3A or M38

Default Re: What repo body should I order? CJ2A,3A or M38

Quote Originally Posted by Warloch View Post
    Not sure about those any more, but several years ago the only difference with a 3A body and M38 from them was the 3A had a tail gate and the M38 didn't.
    Why doesn't their M38 tub have a tailgate? Did they build some of the M38's without?
    My Dad's '51 has a 'gate...
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

CJ5 quitter, now I drive a TeeJ
    01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

the repop tubs for the m38 do have a tailgate, and the orginal m38 tub has a tailgate as well.
    1952 m38 L-134

It might be worth your time to have whichever distributor that you are getting it from send you some pics. For the money it would be nice to know what it is you are buying before it shows up on the truck. Kinda spendy to try and return it! I wouldn't trust the stock omix picture.

Also a plus on the m38 tubs are the floor pans are bolt in like the cj5.
    1952 m38 L-134

After doing a bit of research I think that I might go with the M38 body. I like the fact that it has the battery box in the cowl, the removable instrument panel, and the glovebox. I like that M38 bodies never had Willys stamped on them from the factory. The 2A and 3A bodies come with or without Willys stamped on them. There is a $550 difference for the premium one with Willys on them. The M38 only has the premium kit without Willys in the first place. I read quite a few posts over at G503 website about the quality of the MD Jaun MFG bodies. There are many people that absolutely think the are garbage because they don't just fit on perfectly to there 50 to 60 year old jeep without a bit of modification. There are plenty of people though, that have actually used them, and other than a bit of work to fit them, are completely stoked to have a new body without months of rust repair to a wreck. There is so much hearsay that it is crazy. General consensus says that the repo bodies have improved a lot over the last five years. They are quite accurate and have all the correct differences for the different models such as MB,GPW,2A,3A,M38,3B. I may end up with some complications from the odd thing but I was expecting to have to do several mods to the repo body when I get it. I need to make a bigger hole in the floor for the transmission, I want to make a notch in the wheel well for more seat room and I am going to make some of my new cage mounts go through the floor to the frame. I just can't get a solid answer for what comes with the body. The salesman said that all of the exterior brackets are not included but wasn't sure on the glove box door or the instrument panel. It will be suiting that my wife and I had decided to paint it green a couple of weeks ago. We are by no means going to be making a military replica though. Just paint it a nice metallic green, with a lineX interior and black frame and bumpers. I will post what I ended up buying.
    Greg
    2004 Nissan Titan, My DD
    1966 Buick Skylark GS with 455/TH400 fully restored, my first car, had since 15
    1965 Chevy II Nova Drag car project with 454/TH400
    1955 Chevy 2DR Wagon project. Hopefully will be Chevy Vortec 6.0L/Tremac 5 Speed
    1948 Willys CJ2A Jeep My current project 4.8L Chevy Vortec LR4, SM 465, Dana 18, Dana 30/Dana44, 34" Swampers with 4.5" RE Lift.

im glad to hear that you choose the m38.
    if i had to choose one it would be that one.
    the tool indents sold me alone, thinking of putting some on my b.
    glove box would be cool too.
    Brandon

53 cj3B w/ chevy 283,t-90,d-18,31-10.5's
    06 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (wife's dd)
    91 Chev s-10 blazer (my dd)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
    the repop tubs for the m38 do have a tailgate, and the orginal m38 tub has a tailgate as well.
    Not all - I have one with no tailgate, and have installed another without a tailgate. Both MD sourced.
    Chuck AKA Warloch
    51 CJ3A - V6 Kenne Bell 225, EFI - 4.88 Axles with OX lockers - SM465*49 CJ3A - V6 225, EFI, T18, OD, 5.38s - fight is on who gets it (Grandson in the lead)*72 Commando - Sporting a 360, T18, body and Misc left to do*61 CJ6 - V6 225 - Project Shrek for Sheldon - waiting for the Commando to finish*62 CJ5 - 225, D18, OD, 5.38s - Niece's Rig

I have a repo M38 body on my 2A. It has a tailgate but no battery box on the cowl. Of course I bought it 28 years ago so who knows now. Another thing to consider is the fuel tank. The M38 body has the large hole for the tank and the tank was also taller. I used my 2A tank, made a plate out of aluminum to make the hole smaller, and made a couple of spacers to lift the tank off of the floor.
    Doug
    46 CJ2A - Lots of mods ------ 95 YJ - Son #1 ---------- 99 TJ - Wife's
    60 CJ3B - Son #2---- -------- 00 TJ - Sister's ---------- NEXT???
    69 M-35 - Son #2
    If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over.

Quote Originally Posted by mortten View Post
    I have a repo M38 body on my 2A. It has a tailgate but no battery box on the cowl. Of course I bought it 28 years ago so who knows now. Another thing to consider is the fuel tank. The M38 body has the large hole for the tank and the tank was also taller. I used my 2A tank, made a plate out of aluminum to make the hole smaller, and made a couple of spacers to lift the tank off of the floor.
    I considered the tank difference. I ordered a new cj2a/3a tank and the 2a/3a fuel tank cutout for the body so I will have the correct size hole for it. I had thought of the m38 tank but a replacement one is $450 compared to $160 for a 2a/3a tank. Is the tank cutout in the body in the same place? If so I will be able to just drill out the spot welds and add the 2a/3a one. If not I have a little more metal work ahead of me. I ordered the m38 body yesterday and I should have it in about 10 days. I will post what I ended up with when I get it. I want to document my experience with the Omix-Ada/MD Juan body as I have found there isn't a lot of info on the net. Particularly there is a lot of second hand info and hearsay. Lets hope the quality and fitment is reasonably good.
    Greg
    2004 Nissan Titan, My DD
    1966 Buick Skylark GS with 455/TH400 fully restored, my first car, had since 15
    1965 Chevy II Nova Drag car project with 454/TH400
    1955 Chevy 2DR Wagon project. Hopefully will be Chevy Vortec 6.0L/Tremac 5 Speed
    1948 Willys CJ2A Jeep My current project 4.8L Chevy Vortec LR4, SM 465, Dana 18, Dana 30/Dana44, 34" Swampers with 4.5" RE Lift.

Here a some photos of an install on a repop tub on an m38 frame
    http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modul...view_album.php

1952 m38 L-134