Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low back or High back?

Default Re: Low back or High back?

I like my lowbacks. Just looks right to me an an early (or intermediate) Jeep. Here's mine, with custom canvas covers (special thanks to my mom and her embroidery machine for the Jeep logos).

By God I'm keeping everything for the moment! lol.

Guys, I like the looks of the bench seats, but if I never sit on them again, that's fine with me. Rolled 4 days straight this year putting hunters on hogs and without the tilt and ability to adjust it, it hurt me. If I put the bench back in, I'd have to have some springs replaced and I'd have to chop it anyway to create a way to adjust it, and get the seat angled up and back. Seriously, they hurt me. I had trouble ****ing for a few days.

In the meantime, I bought some 1" square tubing yesterday evening to create some seat frames. ( this ought to get interesting), and I put the high backs in and got them into a comfortable position. Being 6'4" the back of the seats come up just about to my nose. I can see over those things.

I'm going to go ahead and put the high backs in, drive it around, put the low backs in and drive it around. I'm seat rich at the moment with high-backs, low-backs and a bench at my disposal.

Pathkiller, could you tell me where you got those covers at? I was thinking about making some covers out of the canvas tarps from tractor supply and using some of that filson's wax on them. Should be a durable combination for a hog hunter when the mud, the blood and beer gets to flying.

pathkiller
    i want some covers too!

My mom did the sewing on a regular sewing machine. The material is plain old canvas tarp material from a bulk role that the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission "loaned" me about 10 yards of when I was doing research for them in grad school. Must have been army surplus I'm guessing and it was about a 500 foot roll of the stuff, about 4' wide. I used some brown paper to make patterns, using the old seat covers as a template. Pin the pattern to the material and cut out the pieces and sew it all together. Easy peesy lemon squeezy. My mom got fancy with the piping, but it's not necessary. It does add a lot of strength to the seams though. She's been sewing for 50 years, so she knows her stuff.

I meant to get fancy with the installation and use sewn velcro strips to hold it together but that was too much work and I ended up using grommets and rope. I could probably get some of the wrinkles out and a tighter fit if I messed around with it some more. Note that these are installed OVER the original vinyl material, not replacing it. At some point I intend to coat them with canvas tent waterproofing stuff, and I expect them to stretch a bit with use, but I'm pretty pleased with them.

Oh, and the center console is a surplus ammo can. The padded lid is a piece of 1/2" plywood with canvas stretched over and stapled and stuffed full of pillow ticking. It's screwed to the ammo can lid from the bottom.
    Last edited by pathkiller; 07-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.

ask your mom if she wants to make some extra money!

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    get high backs and dont look back.*

*because you CANT...

teehee
    I like the looks and comfort of the high back but was about to mention the same thing, the back gets right in the middle of your way when trying to look at what’s behind you.
    '60 Willys CJ-5 + '65 L76 Corvette = Corveep

LOWBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1979 CJ-5
    1970 Commando (SOLD)
    1967 Commando (SOLD to Early CJ5 member 67commando)

How 'bout NO BACKS?

1979 CJ-5
    1970 Commando (SOLD)
    1967 Commando (SOLD to Early CJ5 member 67commando)

For safety, I'd get highback seats. Just like I'd put in rollbar in a CJ that didn't come with one.

iv got the same lowback seats in both my jeeps. theyre from a dodge cargo van. Pretty much all dodge cargo vans from the 80's and 90's have the same seats in low back and high back. It can take some time to find two in good shape from the junk yard though
    67 cj-5, 46 cj-2a, 82 911sc, 72 911 targa, 72 914, 72 saab sonett, 58 impala, 62 beetle