Thread: Running Hot

Default Running Hot

Hello!

We just got back from taking the CJ camping. Fun trip, but she's running very hot...at the end of the green line towards the H.

I have recently replaced the distributor to an HEI from the old prestolite system. The coolant and oil are clean and full and do not leak.

Any Suggestions?
    Jason
    '76 CJ5 - Leanna - SOLD!!!
    '87 K5 Blazer Silverado - Charlene

Default Re: Running Hot

First verify the overheat condition with an ir gun those gauges are very in accurate. How is your radatior and fan?
    Posted via Mobile Device

The radiator is less than 1 year old and the fan is new...on a clutch. What is a normal operating temp range of the 304? I don't have an ir gun, but could get one.
    Jason

You recently changed distributors. Maybe you have more total advance than before with the old distributor?
    1973 CJ5 SuperJeep, 304, T15, D20, D44, D30

My 360 likes to run around 200/205. I've got a 195 thermostat and taurus fans. Get a real gauge, the stock gauges are not dependable like 73cj5 said. Are you running a shroud? that makes a big difference
    '75 CJ5 360, Boxed frame shackle reverse and sprung over, NP435, twin stick D20 with D18 low range gears, Cherokee pedals brake booster and hydraulic clutch, Waggy axles with 538's, YJ springs, a Detroit in the rear and a Ausse in the front, 35's, on board air, welder and shower. GM throttle body injection. Wheel it like you stole it.

...just a follow up...

WOW! I had no idea, but just adding a fan shroud made all the difference in the world. Who knew?? Ah, yes, you all did. Thank you!
    Jason