Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for info on spartan turn signal

Default looking for info on spartan turn signal

I finally got into the steering wheel assy. tonight. the turn signal is a spartan model scs-3r6. is this factory and does anyone know where I can find any info on it. I am pretty sure its gonna work, I just want to make positive before cleaning it all up.
    72 CJ5 Renegade
    94 YJ Wrangler
    89 YJ Wrangler
    86 MJ Comanche
    04 LJ Unlimited
    Never far from a trail in these hills
    http://scott.arrington-family.us

Default Re: looking for info on spartan turn signal

Does it look like this?

If it does, it's really nothing to it. As long as the parts are there it's easy to dissasemble and clean and oil and make work again.
    Baby John
    in Mendenhall MS
    with an 84 CJ7....

thats the bugger, mines a 3r6, is that green strip a light? I think that may be the difference between thats one and mine.
    72 CJ5 Renegade
    94 YJ Wrangler
    89 YJ Wrangler
    86 MJ Comanche
    04 LJ Unlimited

yeah the green strip is a light, mine has it also, but nowhere near in that kind of condition
    Erik
    1955 F Head, twin stick, pto 13K orig miles...restoration in progress
    Not for fame or reward, Not for place or for rank, Not lured by ambition, Or goaded by necessity, But in simple Obedience to Duty; As they understood it, These men suffered all, Sacrificed all, Dared all--and died

I expect that light blinks on an aftermarket installation. The Jeep has indicators in the cluster, so the OEM switch doesn't blink IIRC.
    Tim Reese
    '75 CJ-6, Copper Polly 304/T15
    '77 J10 type 45 (131" WB) 258/T15/3.54
    '82 J20 type 27 360/T18/NP208/3.73 7600 GVWR
    '95 VW Golf Sport 2D 2L

The unit is pretty simple inside. There is the lever, a 3-position switch, a light bulb, and a wheel. Four screws to remove. The green strip is a piece of translucent plastic to allow the light to shine through. The lever moves the switch into position, and the wheel drives it back to center. As long as the switch is in decent condition and wired properly, it should work. If you have a flasher can it should flash. The switch seems to be the weak link, since in a Jeep it is susceptiple to the weather.

Jim
    CJ Pics here:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/tigersharkmwjt
    TJ Pics here:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jimw630
    1942 Willys MB - Just for fun
    1950 Willys CJ-3A
    1968 CJ5 - 225 V6 - Planned restore to stock
    1970 CJ5 - 225 Dauntless V6 - Fixer-upper
    2001 TJ

everything in this one is in real good shape albeit the bugs

I think I'll clean it up and see how good it'll do
    72 CJ5 Renegade
    94 YJ Wrangler
    89 YJ Wrangler
    86 MJ Comanche
    04 LJ Unlimited

Just for general info I have collected 3 or 4 of these things in various conditions. Some had the lense painted over and no light inside. I suspect these were from intermediates that had the turn signal indicators in the speedo. Only one had the light assembly in it, and it was from an early Willys pickup. It also had a mint condition lense that was BLUE. I used it since my Jeep is blue. Also, the Willys P/U one had an all steel chromed flat handle, different from the later round ones with a push on plastic tip. Also I have seen various wiring, some use individual bullet connectors and others use a plastic junction block with 6 wires in a pyramid shape. I think the intermediates had a ground wire attached to a piece of plastic that was screwed to the steering column. They attach with a 2 piece round clamp to the steering column, again the Willys one was different it used a stamped metal bracket that attached to the switch unit in the usual way, but appears to have been attached to column with 2 screws. Don't forget the the small spring clamp that held the wiring to the column. I have several extra of those. I have seen several wiring diagrams on the web, mine all seem to have a different color code, so don't be surprised if you have to experiment a little to figure it out.
    Greg
    67 CJ5 231, T18, D18, 4.88s, powertrax/lockrite, 11" drums
    83 CJ7 4.0HO, NV3550, d300 4:1, fr/rr D44s 4.56, 35"BFG MTs
    79 K5 454, TH400, NP205, 14bolt/D44, fr/rr discs, 35" BGFMTs

all you described is what I have except mine is solid and no provision for a lense. also the colors of the wires were different than the harness, I suspect this was normal as I too have heard this before. mine has the pyramid plug as shown in my wiring schematic. I have both of the spring clamps, the only thing I had to do was strip off about 6" of the plactic cover cause I had 2 wires that got hot and I wanted to make sure they didnt melt off the covering and short. this was caused I believe in part because all of the connectors were corroded and connections were weak. I had to disassemble all of the plugs one at a time and clean the contacts. now everything works great, cant wait to put everything in the tub.(hopefully soon)
    72 CJ5 Renegade
    94 YJ Wrangler
    89 YJ Wrangler
    86 MJ Comanche
    04 LJ Unlimited

Do you know if those units are still available? When I bought my Jeep the signals didn't work so I just have them on a toggle now. I'd like to get a setup like that if it's possible. Thanks

-Steve