Thread: 225 oil capacity

Default 225 oil capacity

So as not to hijack another thread, I started a new one to help answer this question. My Haynes manual says to put in 5 quarts of oil in my Dauntless 225ci V6. The dipstick is marked as 4 quarts. One explanation is that the engine takes 4 quarts and the filter takes another. On the other hand, guys have been running 4 quarts of oil in their engine without any issues and the dipstick read full. So which is it? was there two versions of the Dauntless? I know that there were multiple dipstick lengths, but I thought that had to do with the tube length and not the engine capacity.

Default Re: 225 oil capacity

My two, and my dad's, hold 5 quarts with filter. The FSM says the same.
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

CJ5 quitter, now I drive a TeeJ
    01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dvw86 View Post
    So as not to hijack another thread, I started a new one to help answer this question. My Haynes manual says to put in 5 quarts of oil in my Dauntless 225ci V6. The dipstick is marked as 4 quarts. One explanation is that the engine takes 4 quarts and the filter takes another. On the other hand, guys have been running 4 quarts of oil in their engine without any issues and the dipstick read full. So which is it? was there two versions of the Dauntless? I know that there were multiple dipstick lengths, but I thought that had to do with the tube length and not the engine capacity.
    A lot of old engines were marked with pan capacity and it differred from engine capacity. The engine capacity is 5 quarts the pan capacity is rated as 4 quarts, which is probably closer to 4 1/2 quarts, but the filter and oil pump and such on the Buick motors is probably easily a 1/2 quart.
    Mike
    71 CJ5, Tellico tested 2005/2006/2007
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y233/m...lti=5&addtype=

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Same thing with the V8 I just swapped. It is reading high when I do 5 quarts. I had always done 5 quarts in the Dauntless ('70-1/2 with long tube) and it read right on the mark. This V8 ('67 300 c.i.d. with short stick in the block) is marked for 4 quarts. Curious. I'd like to think I'm smarter than a dipstick... Going to have to test with 4 quarts for a while and see what happens.
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

before I found this site ,I ran 4 qrts in my 225 for 10 years ....... since thats what it said on the dipstick .

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkclint View Post
    I'd like to think I'm smarter than a dipstick...
    Mike___
    1974 CJ-5 Renegade, 304, T18, dana 20, D30, D44 - 3.73's, PS, hydo clutch, 2.5" lift, 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's

1945 Willy's MBT Trailer