Thread: 225 oil capacity

Default 225 oil capacity

So as not to hijack another thread, I started a new one to help answer this question. My Haynes manual says to put in 5 quarts of oil in my Dauntless 225ci V6. The dipstick is marked as 4 quarts. One explanation is that the engine takes 4 quarts and the filter takes another. On the other hand, guys have been running 4 quarts of oil in their engine without any issues and the dipstick read full. So which is it? was there two versions of the Dauntless? I know that there were multiple dipstick lengths, but I thought that had to do with the tube length and not the engine capacity.

Default Re: 225 oil capacity

My two, and my dad's, hold 5 quarts with filter. The FSM says the same.
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

01 TJ Sport
    '48 CJ2a

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dvw86 View Post
    So as not to hijack another thread, I started a new one to help answer this question. My Haynes manual says to put in 5 quarts of oil in my Dauntless 225ci V6. The dipstick is marked as 4 quarts. One explanation is that the engine takes 4 quarts and the filter takes another. On the other hand, guys have been running 4 quarts of oil in their engine without any issues and the dipstick read full. So which is it? was there two versions of the Dauntless? I know that there were multiple dipstick lengths, but I thought that had to do with the tube length and not the engine capacity.
    A lot of old engines were marked with pan capacity and it differred from engine capacity. The engine capacity is 5 quarts the pan capacity is rated as 4 quarts, which is probably closer to 4 1/2 quarts, but the filter and oil pump and such on the Buick motors is probably easily a 1/2 quart.
    Mike
    71 CJ5, Tellico tested 2005/2006/2007
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y233/m...lti=5&addtype=

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Same thing with the V8 I just swapped. It is reading high when I do 5 quarts. I had always done 5 quarts in the Dauntless ('70-1/2 with long tube) and it read right on the mark. This V8 ('67 300 c.i.d. with short stick in the block) is marked for 4 quarts. Curious. I'd like to think I'm smarter than a dipstick... Going to have to test with 4 quarts for a while and see what happens.
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

before I found this site ,I ran 4 qrts in my 225 for 10 years ....... since thats what it said on the dipstick .

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawkclint View Post
    I'd like to think I'm smarter than a dipstick...
    Mike___
    1974 CJ-5 Renegade, 304, T18, dana 20, D30, D44 - 3.73's, PS, hydo clutch, 2.5" lift, 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's

1945 Willy's MBT Trailer