Thread: Dauntless 225 V6 damper

Default Dauntless 225 V6 damper

Hello my name is Toni from Barcelona SPAIN and I'm new in this forum.
    I have a CJ3-A since I was young, now I'm 42 years old, and I changed the engine 20 years ago. The engine was a Dauntless 225 V6 new I found very cheap in a Jeep dealer in Barcelona, there where 6 new engines. The jeep is not street legal because I only drive it in my rancho so since then only has about 2K original miles, like new. Now I would like to do a full restoration and some engine modifications like a new HEI distributor from a 231cid odd-fire. I bought some parts from RockAuto, new HEI distributor from CRTPerformance, carburetor gasket kit from The Carburetor Doctor ......
    I checked the timing and dwell settings that the jeep had been running on and the surprise was big. The cranck damper outside ring is missing !!!

Now I need a complette damper for my Dauntless 225 V6 "Odd-fire", the engine spec. are:
    Block casting number: 991503 (1967-74)
    Engine code: EUK 002 (E: export, U:1971 or 72, K: cr 7.6 to 1 and 2bbl carb)
    Carburetor: 2JET Rochester number: 7041186, Type R2, Year 1971
    Firing order: 165432

Does anyone know where I could fine one ?
    I found some engine pictures on internet but I can't see the damper very close to know how it is exactly and buy a good one.
    Please could you guys post some pictures of your damper if your engine is the same as mine.
    I have some pictures from Damper Dudes web site, they have 231cid odd-fire and 231 cid even-fire damper but not the 225cid odd-fire.
    I know 225cid odd-fire was external balance but where 231 odd-fire and 231 even-fire external balance? I think yes but I'm not sure.
    If 231 odd-fire was external balance it is possible that the damper of 225 and 231 odd-fire was the same, only bore (pistons) and a lighter (50 pounds) flywheel was different?
    231 even-fire had different cranckshaft configuration so maybe damper are totally different unbalance and the ignition points marks on damper was not the same.

As you can see I think the center damper hub of 225 O-F, 231 O-F and 231 E-F are the same, only the external ring are different, and maybe the outside ring of 225 O-F and 231 O-F are the same so damper too ????

Thank you for your time reading this post.
    Waiting your help
    Thank you

Default Re: Dauntless 225 V6 damper

I finally found the answer here:

http://www.earlycj5.com/technical/en...rchange-guide/

Flywheels/harmonic balancer

The flywheel and harmonic balancer of a 225 and Odd Fire 231 will interchange. A heavier 225 flywheel can be used on an Even Fire 231 if it is balanced with the crank.

Man I'm sorry no one replied, I simply don't know where to geta new one, most people rebuild the old one, but thats not an option in your case.
    Mike
    71 CJ5, Tellico tested 2005/2006/2007
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y233/m...lti=5&addtype=

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...egory_Code=BUI

You can get a rebuilt one here but I'm not sure they ship internationally. Might be worth an email or call though
    Joe
    1971 CJ5: Snowball rebuild in progress
    2006 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by tonibikezr1 View Post
    Hello my name is Toni from Barcelona SPAIN and I'm new in this forum.
    I have a CJ3-A since I was young, now I'm 42 years old, and I changed the engine 20 years ago. The engine was a Dauntless 225 V6 new I found very cheap in a Jeep dealer in Barcelona, there where 6 new engines. The jeep is not street legal because I only drive it in my rancho so since then only has about 2K original miles, like new. Now I would like to do a full restoration and some engine modifications like a new HEI distributor from a 231cid odd-fire. I bought some parts from RockAuto, new HEI distributor from CRTPerformance, carburetor gasket kit from The Carburetor Doctor ......
    I checked the timing and dwell settings that the jeep had been running on and the surprise was big. The cranck damper outside ring is missing !!!

Now I need a complette damper for my Dauntless 225 V6 "Odd-fire", the engine spec. are:
    Block casting number: 991503 (1967-74)
    Engine code: EUK 002 (E: export, U:1971 or 72, K: cr 7.6 to 1 and 2bbl carb)
    Carburetor: 2JET Rochester number: 7041186, Type R2, Year 1971
    Firing order: 165432

Does anyone know where I could fine one ?
    I found some engine pictures on internet but I can't see the damper very close to know how it is exactly and buy a good one.
    Please could you guys post some pictures of your damper if your engine is the same as mine.
    I have some pictures from Damper Dudes web site, they have 231cid odd-fire and 231 cid even-fire damper but not the 225cid odd-fire.
    I know 225cid odd-fire was external balance but where 231 odd-fire and 231 even-fire external balance? I think yes but I'm not sure.
    If 231 odd-fire was external balance it is possible that the damper of 225 and 231 odd-fire was the same, only bore (pistons) and a lighter (50 pounds) flywheel was different?
    231 even-fire had different cranckshaft configuration so maybe damper are totally different unbalance and the ignition points marks on damper was not the same.

As you can see I think the center damper hub of 225 O-F, 231 O-F and 231 E-F are the same, only the external ring are different, and maybe the outside ring of 225 O-F and 231 O-F are the same so damper too ????

Thank you for your time reading this post.
    Waiting your help
    Thank you
    This is on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick...item33594e64a0
    Last edited by CJ-JIM; 11-17-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Sorry wron ebay listing try this onehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-3-8-odd-fire-225-V6-vibration-Harmonic-dampener-/200
    CJ-5 Born in 64, VINnd a 65, tagged a 66, Dauntless, HEI, Hedman Headers, gone to a Texan
    84 CJ-7, 258, Rough Country Lift
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

iv got this one id sell. its from a dauntless but im not sure odd or evenfire. it wasnt a standard 2g carb it was the smaller round style one

67 cj-5, 46 cj-2a, 82 911sc, 72 914, 58 impala, 62 beetle

There was no even fire Dauntless.
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

CJ5 quitter, now I drive a TeeJ
    01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)