Thread: Dauntless 225 V6 damper

Default Dauntless 225 V6 damper

Hello my name is Toni from Barcelona SPAIN and I'm new in this forum.
    I have a CJ3-A since I was young, now I'm 42 years old, and I changed the engine 20 years ago. The engine was a Dauntless 225 V6 new I found very cheap in a Jeep dealer in Barcelona, there where 6 new engines. The jeep is not street legal because I only drive it in my rancho so since then only has about 2K original miles, like new. Now I would like to do a full restoration and some engine modifications like a new HEI distributor from a 231cid odd-fire. I bought some parts from RockAuto, new HEI distributor from CRTPerformance, carburetor gasket kit from The Carburetor Doctor ......
    I checked the timing and dwell settings that the jeep had been running on and the surprise was big. The cranck damper outside ring is missing !!!

Now I need a complette damper for my Dauntless 225 V6 "Odd-fire", the engine spec. are:
    Block casting number: 991503 (1967-74)
    Engine code: EUK 002 (E: export, U:1971 or 72, K: cr 7.6 to 1 and 2bbl carb)
    Carburetor: 2JET Rochester number: 7041186, Type R2, Year 1971
    Firing order: 165432

Does anyone know where I could fine one ?
    I found some engine pictures on internet but I can't see the damper very close to know how it is exactly and buy a good one.
    Please could you guys post some pictures of your damper if your engine is the same as mine.
    I have some pictures from Damper Dudes web site, they have 231cid odd-fire and 231 cid even-fire damper but not the 225cid odd-fire.
    I know 225cid odd-fire was external balance but where 231 odd-fire and 231 even-fire external balance? I think yes but I'm not sure.
    If 231 odd-fire was external balance it is possible that the damper of 225 and 231 odd-fire was the same, only bore (pistons) and a lighter (50 pounds) flywheel was different?
    231 even-fire had different cranckshaft configuration so maybe damper are totally different unbalance and the ignition points marks on damper was not the same.

As you can see I think the center damper hub of 225 O-F, 231 O-F and 231 E-F are the same, only the external ring are different, and maybe the outside ring of 225 O-F and 231 O-F are the same so damper too ????

Thank you for your time reading this post.
    Waiting your help
    Thank you

Default Re: Dauntless 225 V6 damper

I finally found the answer here:

http://www.earlycj5.com/technical/en...rchange-guide/

Flywheels/harmonic balancer

The flywheel and harmonic balancer of a 225 and Odd Fire 231 will interchange. A heavier 225 flywheel can be used on an Even Fire 231 if it is balanced with the crank.

Man I'm sorry no one replied, I simply don't know where to geta new one, most people rebuild the old one, but thats not an option in your case.
    Mike
    71 CJ5, Tellico tested 2005/2006/2007
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y233/m...lti=5&addtype=

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...egory_Code=BUI

You can get a rebuilt one here but I'm not sure they ship internationally. Might be worth an email or call though
    Joe
    1971 CJ5: Snowball rebuild in progress
    2006 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by tonibikezr1 View Post
    Hello my name is Toni from Barcelona SPAIN and I'm new in this forum.
    I have a CJ3-A since I was young, now I'm 42 years old, and I changed the engine 20 years ago. The engine was a Dauntless 225 V6 new I found very cheap in a Jeep dealer in Barcelona, there where 6 new engines. The jeep is not street legal because I only drive it in my rancho so since then only has about 2K original miles, like new. Now I would like to do a full restoration and some engine modifications like a new HEI distributor from a 231cid odd-fire. I bought some parts from RockAuto, new HEI distributor from CRTPerformance, carburetor gasket kit from The Carburetor Doctor ......
    I checked the timing and dwell settings that the jeep had been running on and the surprise was big. The cranck damper outside ring is missing !!!

Now I need a complette damper for my Dauntless 225 V6 "Odd-fire", the engine spec. are:
    Block casting number: 991503 (1967-74)
    Engine code: EUK 002 (E: export, U:1971 or 72, K: cr 7.6 to 1 and 2bbl carb)
    Carburetor: 2JET Rochester number: 7041186, Type R2, Year 1971
    Firing order: 165432

Does anyone know where I could fine one ?
    I found some engine pictures on internet but I can't see the damper very close to know how it is exactly and buy a good one.
    Please could you guys post some pictures of your damper if your engine is the same as mine.
    I have some pictures from Damper Dudes web site, they have 231cid odd-fire and 231 cid even-fire damper but not the 225cid odd-fire.
    I know 225cid odd-fire was external balance but where 231 odd-fire and 231 even-fire external balance? I think yes but I'm not sure.
    If 231 odd-fire was external balance it is possible that the damper of 225 and 231 odd-fire was the same, only bore (pistons) and a lighter (50 pounds) flywheel was different?
    231 even-fire had different cranckshaft configuration so maybe damper are totally different unbalance and the ignition points marks on damper was not the same.

As you can see I think the center damper hub of 225 O-F, 231 O-F and 231 E-F are the same, only the external ring are different, and maybe the outside ring of 225 O-F and 231 O-F are the same so damper too ????

Thank you for your time reading this post.
    Waiting your help
    Thank you
    This is on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick...item33594e64a0
    Last edited by CJ-JIM; 11-17-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Sorry wron ebay listing try this onehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-3-8-odd-fire-225-V6-vibration-Harmonic-dampener-/200
    CJ-5 Born in 64, VINnd a 65, tagged a 66, Dauntless, HEI, Hedman Headers, gone to a Texan
    84 CJ-7, 258, Rough Country Lift
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

iv got this one id sell. its from a dauntless but im not sure odd or evenfire. it wasnt a standard 2g carb it was the smaller round style one

67 cj-5, 46 cj-2a, 82 911sc, 72 911 targa, 72 914, 72 saab sonett, 58 impala, 62 beetle

There was no even fire Dauntless.
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

01 TJ Sport
    '48 CJ2a

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)