Thread: Quadra Trac to Dana 44

Default Quadra Trac to Dana 44

I'm planning an engine swap in my CJ using a AMC360 TH400 and Quadra Trac box, the question I have is that the Quadra Trac transfer rear output is on the passengers side and the Dana 44 axel is in the centre, does this angle change make much difference, if it does what do I need to do to change this.

Default Re: Quadra Trac to Dana 44

You cannot change it. The offset is built-in to the components. That offset, plus the drop of the driveshaft from the transfer case to the axle, will determine the angle.

You'll have to measure the offset and the drop, calculate the angle, and see if it will work.

The Tom Woods site has a primer on driveshaft angle. Go here http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html click on "tech info" and read "Geometry 101." The compound angle may be problematic - the axle in the Wagoneer is offset to match the Quadratrac transfer case. In a Wagoneer, conversion from a Quadratrac to a Dana 20 is no problem, but the Wagoneer rear driveshaft is much longer than the CJ-6's rear driveshaft.
    Tim Reese
    '75 CJ-6, Copper Polly 304/T15
    '77 J10 type 45 (131" WB) 258/T15/3.54
    '82 J20 type 27 360/T18/NP208/3.73 7600 GVWR
    '95 VW Golf Sport 2D 2L

Quote Originally Posted by timgr View Post
    You cannot change it. The offset is built-in to the components. That offset, plus the drop of the driveshaft from the transfer case to the axle, will determine the angle.

You'll have to measure the offset and the drop, calculate the angle, and see if it will work.

The Tom Woods site has a primer on driveshaft angle. Go here http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html click on "tech info" and read "Geometry 101." The compound angle may be problematic - the axle in the Wagoneer is offset to match the Quadratrac transfer case. In a Wagoneer, conversion from a Quadratrac to a Dana 20 is no problem, but the Wagoneer rear driveshaft is much longer than the CJ-6's rear driveshaft.
    So I have a Dana 20 already, what is required to change the Quadra Trac setup to Dana 20, I also have the centred rear axle, is it a costly exercise.

Get the adapter and new tail shaft for the TH400. Take the TH400 apart and install the new tail shaft. Bolt the adapter to the TH400 and the Dana 20 to the adapted TH400.

Jeep used the TH400 with the Dana 20 in several models from 1965 through 1973. Finding a used adapter and tail shaft from a Jeep would be the cheapest approach. Your alternative is an aftermarket adapter from Novak or Advance Adapters.

We're just going over the same information that was in the replies to your other post. A link to the Novak adapter is in your previous post. You may be well served to reread that post more carefully.
    Tim Reese
    '75 CJ-6, Copper Polly 304/T15
    '77 J10 type 45 (131" WB) 258/T15/3.54
    '82 J20 type 27 360/T18/NP208/3.73 7600 GVWR
    '95 VW Golf Sport 2D 2L

I live in a house on the outskirts of town in Ontario Canada.

How big of a hurry are you in to do this QT to D20 conversion? As luck would have it I'm picking up a CJ frame with the QT driveline next week some time. What I'm not sure about is when I'm going to start into tearing it apart, thanks to the cold weather we can't seem to get rid of. The transmission is currently a Chev bolt pattern, I need to change the case over to a Buick bolt pattern tranny to use my 225. I'll have the transmission output shaft that you'd need. There was a 400/D20 adapter on eBay just recently that didn't sell, had a buy it now price of $120 I think. Or you could go for the Novak conversion for $548 which includes everything. Don't suppose there's too many mid 60's to late 70's full size jeeps or Jeepster Commandos in Ireland.
    73 Commando /70 Jeepster Convertible /71 Jeepster Hurst Edition /71 Jeepster Half Cab 61 Willys Wagon??? /81 AMC Eagle SX/4 /82 AMC Eagle Sundancer /72 Triumph Spit6

Quote Originally Posted by Pack Rat View Post
    How big of a hurry are you in to do this QT to D20 conversion? As luck would have it I'm picking up a CJ frame with the QT driveline next week some time. What I'm not sure about is when I'm going to start into tearing it apart, thanks to the cold weather we can't seem to get rid of. The transmission is currently a Chev bolt pattern, I need to change the case over to a Buick bolt pattern tranny to use my 225. I'll have the transmission output shaft that you'd need. There was a 400/D20 adapter on eBay just recently that didn't sell, had a buy it now price of $120 I think. Or you could go for the Novak conversion for $548 which includes everything. Don't suppose there's too many mid 60's to late 70's full size jeeps or Jeepster Commandos in Ireland.
    Pack Rat,

Not in any hurry at all, still actually finalising which way I'm wanting to go, I appreciate your offer and if that is the way I go I may indeed take you up on your offer, I'll also look on bay now about the adapter, really don't want to spend $550 on an adapter if I don't have too. You are also correct in your assumption of Jeeps in Ireland, its belived my CJ6 is the only one here, a few in the UK.