Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CJ-2A Re-Rebuild

Default CJ-2A Re-Rebuild

Here are some pics of the re-rebuild of my beloved 2A. I started the initial rebuild back in ’02, but lost steam because we decided to build a family instead… At any rate, the kids are now older, and it’s getting to where I actually have a little bit of free time again. After dusting things off and taking a good look at where I left it, many changes are on the docket in addition to the original rebuild plans.

I didn’t like the way I originally fab’d the new front frame section. I had incorporated a power steering mount and SRS spring mounts, but it was square and ugly looking. So, taking some styling cues from other builds I’ve seen over the years, I went from this…

… to this…

Next up was some body protection. Some 10ga sheetmetal and some 1.25” tubing, and voila…

Next up were some front shock hoops. More 1.25” tubing…

And finally, I’m up to the point of getting the p/s setup. I hung a box from an XJ and also pilfered the pump, steering column and intermediate shaft…

So that brings it up to current status. Still have a loooooong ways to go before it’s running/driving again, but it feels good to be back working on the flattie!!
    My Jeep has "The Willys"

Default Re: CJ-2A Re-Rebuild

great looking fab work....keep us posted
    Jim
    1966 CJ6 gone but not forgotten

Very nice work. Hope you can find the time to keep on it. Even with an "empty nest" and being semi-retired, I have a hard time finding the time to work on my Heep.
    '67 CJ5 w/'73 frnt clip, 94 1/2" wheelbase, D44 FF, Warn Drive Flanges, 30 Spline, OX locker, D30, ARB Locker, 4 Wheel Discs, Ford T-18, 5.38 gears, 13.50 x 35 Krawlers, SOA w/ YJ springs, Powerwelder, OBA, FI V6 Dauntless, Warn M8000 winch, PS, HEI, Chevy High Steer Knuckles, Fully Boxed M38A1 Frame, Hydro Clutch, Tera Low 18 T-case

yeah, nice fab work. I like the holes in the bumper and fender steps.
    '52 M38, .60 over 225, T-98, D 18 Warn O/D, 33s Torn completely apart.......
    '65 CJ-5, 225, T-14 11" brakes
    '62 Willys Pickup. L-226, T-90, Dana 18 41XXX original miles HEI.

Thanks guys!

As for the holes, I'm sticking with the L-134 (for now at least...), so I need to sneak in as many holes as I can!!
    My Jeep has "The Willys"

love the way you did the fender foot perches
    4.3 , SM465 , Dana 18 twin stick beefed , 5:38s , 3 inch lift , 33 inch tires , Dana 27 front , Dana 44 rear locked

Still plugging away, ever so slowly…

I have had the front sheetmetal on and off more times than I care to count, but the effort has not been fruitless. I got the shock mounts completed, the radiator mounts located, and the grill mount figured out.

Radiator and grill mounts:

Driver side axle shock mount tabs:

Driver side hoop shock mount tabs:

And, after much deliberation and a few test fits, I have set aside a set of 35’s I picked up and ended up stealing the 33’s off my ’77 Bronco, for now… Here is how it currently sits:

So, I still have a laundry list of stuff to finish, and I picked up a full set of 11” drums today (thanks again James!). I will get those installed and get the brakes plumbed next, followed by the power steering. Then I can run the new battery cables, and maybe try to light it off! Still have a lot of work to do on the cage and seats before it goes anywhere, but it would be nice to have it moving under its own power…
    My Jeep has "The Willys"

nice fab work.
    Mark
    67 CJ6 3sp
    65 CJ5A 4sp SOLD
    71 CJ5 3sp SOLD
    79 DJ5G 4 Auto SOLD

nice work I like the body protection, what are the specs on the jeep (springs axles etc)

The axles are from a 1971.5 CJ-5. Rear is the 30-spline flanged offset D44, 5.38's, Lock-Rite, soon to have 11x2 drums. Front is open knuckle D30, 5.38's, also soon to have 11x2 drums.

Rear springs are 1" Superlift, combined with some shackles of unknown origin, but they are 5" eye-to-eye.

Front springs are 2.5" Rancho units for a CJ-5, and as such are longer than the stock flatty units were. When I rebuilt the front frame section, I stretched it slightly to accomodate the longer front springs, and set the wheelbase at 81". If I had it to do over again, I would probably have pushed it further forward and shot for something like 83-84"... But, now I'll save that for when I build an entirely new frame and dump in the 4.3/TH-350 laying on the shop floor
    My Jeep has "The Willys"