Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What upgrade carb and intake manifold will fit on a dauntless 225 v6?

Default What upgrade carb and intake manifold will fit on a dauntless 225 v6?

I am looking at upgrading my carb. I have a Rochester 2 barrel and after rebuilding it, it still doesn't seem strong. I've read that it is hard to get these carbs rebuilt right so I am thinking about a change. Does anyone have any information about switching to other carbs or will I need to change manifolds as well? Thanks
    1967 CJ5 V6 225
    T-86 / D-18 / D27 / D-44

Man I don't know...I had never rebuilt a carb before and I did my own 2g and it runs great...If I had to upgrade I would just buy a 4 brl intake and a new carb

Default Re: What upgrade carb and intake manifold will fit on a dauntless 225 v6?

It's my opinion that you're headed down the wrong path. The 2G is a fine carb and is a good match for the 225. Did you rebuild it yourself? There are many factors beyond just replacing the parts in the rebuild kit that can have a major impact on the results.

I have a Holley 4 bbl and an Offenhauser manifold on my 225. In the future I plan to install the stock manifold and a 2G carb for improved performance.
    CJ Joe
    American, Patriot

KG6YQQ
    1968 CJ5 225 T14A D18 OD D27 D44

I live in a house on the outskirts of town in Ontario Canada.

Default Re: What upgrade carb and intake manifold will fit on a dauntless 225 v6?

Rochester 2G's are one the easiest carbs out there to rebuild and as far as finding something better? Not going to happen. They just are, and always will be, the best carb for your 225 hands down. And yes, there is more to rebuilding a carb than cleaning it up and throwing some gaskets at it. There's also more things that affect performance other than the carb---point gap, timing, vacuum leaks, bad timing chain, overall engine condition--the list is a long one. I think someone stated at one time that fully 90% of perceived carb problems, weren't, seems about right.
    73 Commando /70 Jeepster Convertible /71 Jeepster Hurst Edition /71 Jeepster Half Cab 61 Willys Wagon??? /81 AMC Eagle SX/4 /82 AMC Eagle Sundancer /72 Triumph Spit6

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Joe View Post
    It's my opinion that you're headed down the wrong path. The 2G is a fine carb and is a good match for the 225. Did you rebuild it yourself? There are many factors beyond just replacing the parts in the rebuild kit that can have a major impact on the results.

I have a Holley 4 bbl and an Offenhauser manifold on my 225. In the future I plan to install the stock manifold and a 2G carb for improved performance.
    Wow. I ran the stock intake and 2G for years. Ran great, but I'm currently running an Offenhauser and an Edelbrock carb, and the performance is hands down far better with this setup.
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

CJ5 quitter, now I drive a TeeJ
    01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wow. I ran the stock intake and 2G for years. Ran great, but I'm currently running an Offenhauser and an Edelbrock carb, and the performance is hands down far better with this setup.
    Same here. Mine ran fine with the 2G, but I had some problems at high altitude & extreme angles. I switched to a Holley TA470 & was surprised at how much more power I have.
    "It's better to have loved and lost,
    than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
    -Doug-

3x-perhaps the addition of headers on mine also had a significant effect, but would be really suprised if the 4bbl/manifold/headers didn't add at least 20 hp-maybe more-and I actually got better mileage with the 4bbl.
    John
    1955 CJ3B, 381 sbc, AGE wide ratio M22, TeraLow, OD, PowrLoc ff, Saginaw, 8274 winch, OBA
    1968 CJ54 bbl, headers, OD, 5721 winch
    2012 quitter (JKU Rubicon), Warn 9.5 xp-s winch, Warn/RSE bumpers, Mopar 2" lift

I've got a Motorcraft 2100 on my stock 2bbl manifold at the moment, and it works a heck of alot better than the 2G that was on there, just my $0.02.

Although I just got an Offy manifold, and it'll be going 4-bbl as soon as I scare up a carb.....

Wow, what a great web site. I thank all of you for your input. Now I am wondering if the rebuild on the carb was the problem. I have installed, new points, plugs, condenser, distributor cap, and wires. Still ran rough. I rebuilt the carb with a kit I got at NAPA. No differents. I guess I need to add that I am not the worlds greatest wrench turner but I have rebuilt a few carb in my pass and that has improved the engine I was working on. I set the gap on the points, then set the dwell and timing. I couldn't get the engine to idle under about 1300 RPMs when I was setting dwell and timing so I figured the carb was the problem. Anyone got a clue what Im doing?
    1967 CJ5 V6 225
    T-86 / D-18 / D27 / D-44

Might check for vacuum leaks....
    '59 CJ-5 modified, '59 CJ-6 more modified, stock '57 CJ-5, Koenig PTO winch