Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disc brake Conversion-Hybrid 76 CJ5

Question Disc brake Conversion-Hybrid 76 CJ5

hey all-

i have found, and bookmarked, the page from the earlier version of ECJ5 regarding the disc brake conversion... but of course, i have a question...

the article APPEARS to be about converting an earlier CJ

i have a 76 axles (AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 front) and would like to convert to a MINIMUM of front disc brakes...

will this article still hold true or has someone else done it on their Dana 30 that i can look at?

any help appreciated as im at the point where NOW would be a good time to do it... front axle is on and ready... all other parts are still strewn about my garage

TIA!!!
    TexasBlues

... I built it one piece at a time...
    NACHOS = 1975/76 Hybrid CJ5... 360/3spd
    OL' BLUE = 1979 CJ5... 360/gaping hole

Default Re: Disc brake Conversion-Hybrid 76 CJ5

Same rules apply to the drum brake as a closed knuckle 25 or 27. Still some grinding on the knuckle and may need to redrill the caliper brackets depending on which brackets you use.
    '59 CJ-5 modified, '59 CJ-6 more modified, stock '57 CJ-5, Koenig PTO winch

thanks nickmil...

maybe i ll start combing the u-pull-it parts yards soon... i find when it gets cold, jeep parts become more plentiful... like pumpkins!
    TexasBlues

Ok Texas, if you want the simple way to do it here's what you need.
    Find yourself a dana 30 from a jeep cjthat already have disq brake (all cj year work with dana 30 will work)
    From there you swap everything from the knukkle to the locking device. It's a bolt on modification. You will also need to use the outer axle shaft to fit the disq brake. If you find yourself a narrowtrack dana 30 (72-80) with disq brake you can use all the axle shaft from the donor. If you use a widetrack (81-86) dana 30 you will need to use the outer shaft of the donor and the inner shaft of youre dana 30.

You could also swap a complete dana 30 with disq brake on you're jeep but ratio maybe not the same.

To make the brake working properly i suggest you to find a prop valve from a jeep cj or yj that have disq brake at the front.

Another great impovement is to swap a complete booster brake/master cylinder from a jeep cj or yj equip with those thing.

It's one of the easiest mod i ever done on my jeep and the one i like the most on road and off-road.

Quote Originally Posted by johneyboy03 View Post
    Ok Texas, if you want the simple way to do it here's what you need.
    Find yourself a dana 30 from a jeep cjthat already have disq brake (all cj year work with dana 30 will work)
    From there you swap everything from the knukkle to the locking device. It's a bolt on modification. You will also need to use the outer axle shaft to fit the disq brake. If you find yourself a narrowtrack dana 30 (72-80) with disq brake you can use all the axle shaft from the donor. If you use a widetrack (81-86) dana 30 you will need to use the outer shaft of the donor and the inner shaft of youre dana 30.

You could also swap a complete dana 30 with disq brake on you're jeep but ratio maybe not the same.

To make the brake working properly i suggest you to find a prop valve from a jeep cj or yj that have disq brake at the front.

Another great impovement is to swap a complete booster brake/master cylinder from a jeep cj or yj equip with those thing.

It's one of the easiest mod i ever done on my jeep and the one i like the most on road and off-road.
    Johneyboy... does this mean from the knuckle to the locking hub?

in addition, what does this mean? You will also need to use the outer axle shaft to fit the disq brake. If you find yourself a narrowtrack dana 30 (72-80) with disq brake you can use all the axle shaft from the donor. If you use a widetrack (81-86) dana 30 you will need to use the outer shaft of the donor and the inner shaft of youre dana 30.

inner shaft, outer shaft... im confused... outer shaft = spindle? inner shaft = actual axle?

that SOUNDS good, but i need clarification please... sorry to be such a PITA, but, like i said, im confused

a dana 30 from a wrangler wont work will it?
    Last edited by TexasBlues; 11-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    TexasBlues

The outer disc brake axle is different than the drum brake axle. If you reuse your existing drum brake spindles you can re use your existing drum brake outer axles.

looks like i found a wide track set up for front AND rear... package deal... WITH disc... so maybe im out of the woods...

then i ll need the booster, the reservior and all the other dookie that goes with it...

THANKS GUYS!!

NOW i see the difference... i think ... it looks like the passenger side axle is actually a 2 piece axle with a coupling... is this correct?
    Last edited by TexasBlues; 11-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    TexasBlues

Inner and Outer axle is the split at the ujoint that runs in the knuckle.
    Chuck AKA Warloch
    51 CJ3A - V6 Kenne Bell 225, EFI - 4.88 Axles with OX lockers - SM465*49 CJ3A - V6 225, EFI, T18, OD, 5.38s - fight is on who gets it (Grandson in the lead)*72 Commando - Sporting a 360, T18, body and Misc left to do*61 CJ6 - V6 225 - Project Shrek for Sheldon - waiting for the Commando to finish*62 CJ5 - 225, D18, OD, 5.38s - Niece's Rig

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBlues View Post
    NOW i see the difference... i think ... it looks like the passenger side axle is actually a 2 piece axle with a coupling... is this correct?
    Sounds like you are looking at a Wrangler or Early XJ axle with disconnect. Might double check what they are.

hum i think it's coming from a jeep yj that does have a vacuum disconnect...if its the case it's no good because the gear carrier of the axle is on the driver side...
    What you need is cj axle everything else wont work without major modification.

Axle shaft are the shaft that bring power from the driveshaft to the wheel. There three part here on each side of the axle. Inner axle shaft is the shaft that complety dissapear into the axle. The outer is the one that goes into the knukkle to the looking hub. A universal joint is use to assemble the inner and the outer shaft.