Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 225 v6 Carb. Issues?

Default 225 v6 Carb. Issues?

Yes, I'm the one with the post from a few days ago needing help getting my rebuilt 225 odd fire timed correctly with the HEI. Thanks to the advise of those who replied, it is "seemingly" timed/running correctly but (there's always a but) I have a question about the Carb. It is a Roch. 2G that I rebuilt (first one I have ever done...holley man myself) It seems to be a little rich on idle. When I look into the carb as it was idling it seemed to me to be dumping alot of gas down the throat. Should the squirters be producing a stream of gas or a spray/fan of gas (like a holley)? With engine off, I hit the accelerator pump and it is a nice straight stream of gas shooting out. How 'bout the idle/mixture screws in the front of carb...What is the adjustment for them? I ran them in and backed them out 1 3/4 out. Is that right? Again..thanks for the info on my timing problem and any advise/tips on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited by pblalock; 05-14-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: 225 v6 Carb. Issues?

Could be float level is to high if fuel is dribbling down carb throat.

Stream is normal - I start at 2 turns out and tune with a vac gauge. Fill out your location as altitude has an impact and there are 3 sets of jets for the carb depending on where your at.
    Chuck AKA Warloch
    51 CJ3A - V6 Kenne Bell 225, EFI - 4.88 Axles with OX lockers - SM465*49 CJ3A - V6 225, EFI, T18, OD, 5.38s - fight is on who gets it (Grandson in the lead)*72 Commando - Sporting a 360, T18, body and Misc left to do*61 CJ6 - V6 225 - Project Shrek for Sheldon - waiting for the Commando to finish*62 CJ5 - 225, D18, OD, 5.38s - Niece's Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Warloch View Post
    Stream is normal - I start at 2 turns out and tune with a vac gauge. Fill out your location as altitude has an impact and there are 3 sets of jets for the carb depending on where your at.
    I am in Winston-Salem, NC. I have 51 jets in there now (what was in it when I got it) What should I look for on Vacuum gauge?

At idle you should not see ANY fuel by looking down the throat of the carb. When you hit the throttle, the accelerator pump should shoot a small but solid stream of fuel into the carb throat.
    "It's better to have loved and lost,
    than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
    -Doug-

when my 2g is idling you can see no fuel , even on the 442's BG 775 dblp. idle fuel should not be dripping . only spray when you trigger the accel pump, sounds like the float is high ,,,,,or high fuel pressure on the needle and seat

1 1/2 -1 3/4 to 2 , is normal to start with , get it to run, then play with the screws equaly in 1/4 turns , until you get the highest rpm, the vac gauge takes your ears out of it,, just tune to highest number, I then turn screws back in just atouch .then set base idle screw(big screw on side ) to 700ish.
    good luck.
    Last edited by cj6/442; 05-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.

I should have said the stream was normal when you hit the accel pump as well. I believe that is the correct jet for sea level. As said - your looking for the highest number on the vac, it should also be steady or that may indicate another issue as well.
    Chuck AKA Warloch
    51 CJ3A - V6 Kenne Bell 225, EFI - 4.88 Axles with OX lockers - SM465*49 CJ3A - V6 225, EFI, T18, OD, 5.38s - fight is on who gets it (Grandson in the lead)*72 Commando - Sporting a 360, T18, body and Misc left to do*61 CJ6 - V6 225 - Project Shrek for Sheldon - waiting for the Commando to finish*62 CJ5 - 225, D18, OD, 5.38s - Niece's Rig

Yep with the 2g it will be two streams from the accel pump. One stream for each venturi and you shouldn't see any fuel in the venturies at idle.
    66 Tux all stock exc T90, seats,wheels and now with HEI.

My jeep is not wore out it's just tired from sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Couch View Post
    Yep with the 2g it will be two streams from the accel pump. One stream for each venturi and you shouldn't see any fuel in the venturies at idle.
    Thanks Everyone for all the info.This is an AWESOME site! I definately can see "alot" of gas flowing at idle. I will check float level. I am not sure if I kept the rebuild instructions...anybody know what I should set it at? ( hate to keep asking stuff)

I have rebuilt 4 2g's in the last 8 months and they all had different floats which means different float level adjustment.
    66 Tux all stock exc T90, seats,wheels and now with HEI.

My jeep is not wore out it's just tired from sitting.