Thread: Steering wont return to center?

Default Steering wont return to center?

My 59 cj5 is bone stock and steering wont return to center after making a turn, how can i fix this? i have the original ross box which im pretty sure is well worn since it has some hard spots in it when turning. do i just add shims to change caster or how do i fix it what way is best or the right/correct way to do it? i just went through my front axle and put all new seals bearings and everything with new u bolts and the axle is the original dana 25 closed knuckle.

Default Re: Steering wont return to center?

If the steering alignment is toed out this can happen. Toe-in makes it center.

yea caster plays the biggest role. but if your ross box has tight spots that could be an issue
    67 cj-5, 46 cj-2a, 82 911sc, 72 914, 58 impala, 62 beetle

Yep, caster is what makes the steering return to center. A badly worn steering box could affect it. You said you went through the front axle- did you properly set the king pin bearing pre-load?
    sent from my computer using hunt'n'peck

CJ5 quitter, now I drive a TeeJ
    01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

yea i did set the preload on the kingpins i forget what i set them too i found the specs in my 1960 motor manual and set them to that. 7 pounds sticks to mind but that may not be what i set it to, i just set it to what the manual said. by taking an old school fishing scale and zeroing it in first with a small dumbell. then i attached the one S hook on it to the tie rod hole and pulled on the scale by hand till it moved at the proper weight. and i set this while the seal on the knuckle was removed like the book said too. ive had the jeep since last december and i havent had it aligned. it seems to stay steered straight and doesnt pull to one side or the other.

Sounds like you set the pre-load correctly. I'd go ahead and measure caster (you can do it with an angle finder) but I'd get the steering box in order..

01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)

yea ive got plans to take care of the steering box soon just trying to decide where to get the parts from since im tired of wasting money on reproduction parts that dont work or deteriorate or brake less than a month after purchase. usually an omix ada product xP. it looks as though debella has the nos worm shaft i need but not the bearings and seals or sector shaft. and i would rather get this done the first time with quality parts so i dont have to do it again. and when i order oil seals from walcks or morris jeep center they are really cheap quality and it shows when compared to a locally obtained seal from a brand name company. but without me supplying the part number to napa or another local place they cant usually help since their books and or computers usually dont cover my old jeep or they find the number but its not made anymore.

"...and i havent had it aligned."

You all may be totally right about caster. But to me that seems unlikely to change.

I know from personal experience that toe-in matters too, for centering. If it hasn't been aligned after a knuckle rebuild, that needs to be checked.

toe is easy to check at home too. just pull a measureing tape off the tire on a selected spot of the tread front and rear . iv done it plenty of times before aligning it with a machine and most of the time it didnt need any further adjustment
    67 cj-5, 46 cj-2a, 82 911sc, 72 914, 58 impala, 62 beetle

Quote Originally Posted by jeep2003 View Post
    toe is easy to check at home too. just pull a measureing tape off the tire on a selected spot of the tread front and rear . iv done it plenty of times before aligning it with a machine and most of the time it didnt need any further adjustment
    Yep, I've been setting the toe on my solid axle vehicles with a tape measure for years...Up to and including my current Jeep TJ

01 TJ Sport

1967 CJ5 V6 (sold)
    1971 CJ5 283 (sold)
    1970 CJ5 V6 (sold)