Those of you who saw my intro know some of my history with jeeps. In that intro, I dropped a hint about my wife's 3A that I am planning on adapting a Volvo four-cylinder engine and 4 speed to a Dana 300. Well, here is its story. It has sat untouched in my shop for about 6 years due to lack of "allocated funds." I am posting this progress report as sort of a motivator to myself more than anything. I forget how much time I have into this already, and I've barely began. It started as a supposed good deal on CL, but I broke the one major cardinal rule: don't look at/buy a jeep in the dark. My initial plan was to get it running, fix the seats, throw some tags on it and take the kids for ice cream on the weekends. Then the sun rose the next morning, and I saw the real condition of the body. My flashlight lied! I started to peel bondo away to show the true condition of the body and it wasn't good. I talked it over with my wife, and we decided to do it right. I'd strip it down and replace what needed to be replaced. And if I was going that far, why not make it a super-reliable, comfortable daily driver, as well as a capable, mild off-roader? And so It began. As a disclaimer, I didn't take my time on this bodywork to avoid warps and imperfections like I could have; It is going to get Rhino Lined inside and out. I didn't think it was justifiable to spend the extra time on perfection. It's just going to get beat up anyway! I carried the body into the shop and started cutting and patching. The sides would splay out when you unlatched the tailgate. I had to totally cut out and rebuild the framework around it. I cut the rotted sections out of the sides and formed a new bottom edge out of 1/2" square tubing. To get a little more street-ability out of it, I moved the rear wheel opening rearward 3" for a longer wheelbase. The rear shackle mounts will be hung from the rear bumper... You'll see that in a minute. I made the fender fins out of 1/8" steel, to truly make them steps. I flipped it over and put the frame on it to start tying the body into the frame. My plan is to make the roll cage and mounts double as body mounts and have everything mount on isolated rubber mounts. This will completely tie the cage to the frame and make everything solid but cushioned. My work started at the rear bumper that will house the rear shackles, the swing-out tire carrier and the rear cage/body mounts. Many hours were spent behind the bandsaw. The cage tie-in was complicated in the rear, as I had to make a subframe in the wheel well to support the body and incorporate cage mounts. Every point of connection has nuts welded to the inside for easy install/removal. I have the under-seat cage mounts completed, but don't have any pics of that for some reason. Otherwise, that is the stage at which it is at now. The body is up on-end on a trolly in the corner of my shop, and the frame is propped up in another corner. I'm afraid with my upcoming adventure, it is going to get pushed even further back on my list of priorities, but at least this thread is started for when I do. Here is the Volvo transmission I plan on using and adapting to the Dana 300. Questions and comments (and donations) are welcome!